Hello everyone

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cledford95

Reaction score
I am a proud mama of bettas, plecos, Danios (zebra and Longfin), and Chinese algae eaters. I have been breeding guppies for several months now and will also, eventually, be selling in central florida as soon as everything is set up. I made a jump recently to take on some loaches. I have three species. Clown, golden weather(albino), and weather. The normals are doing great,though they have no spacial awareness or boundaries. However, the clown and goldens are in need of some help. I am on my way to work but will update as i can

Ok first. 10g tank. Originally held one young male betta (grew up in this tank) "Baby" with an albino corycat named Napoleon. Over time the tank came to hold an albino bristlenose pleco, 2 zebro danios and 2 longfins, 2emerald corys and a zebra cory. All coexisted great, no aggression though the female longfin is not a good schooling fish (she chases everyone away) no one has shown any distress and all eat great. This was an extremely healthy and established tank. About a month and a half possibly two months ago, i added the 2 golden loaches. Other than being a bit invasive to personal space, they dont bother anybody and didnt cause stress to the ecosystem of the tank. I do consistent tank maintenece and chem tests. The water is a bit on the hard side from us using treated well water (sorry not sure of numbers) but nothing dangerous and this tank has never had an ammonia spike,ph problems, or issues with cloramines nitrate or nitrite. Every so often ill get a small algae bloom from high phosphate levels? But a dose of bacteria culture and low lighting always clears it up within a few days. Since adding the loaches i have been more causious with chem treatments since they can be more sensative to abrupt change. However my corys seem to get sickly when the blooms occur so i always try to treat as quick as possible. We went on vacation for just over a week and came back (june22nd) to Baby and an emerald dead. The loaches were also puffed up. They are not showing obvious distress. Nothing is out if the ordinary except their appearence. They have a soft tissue on their backs along their spine that looks inflated. No sores or discoloration, no drowsyness or lethargy. Ive treated for parasites,bacteria,and fungal with no change. All other fish were in good habits until the second emerald died yesterday early morning. Ill take pictures when i get home. Also,theres another algae bloom but im scared to overdose the fish woth treatments.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What medications did you use to treat the tank?

Did you do a water change or clean the filter before you went on holiday?

Did you have anyone come in and feed the fish while you were away?

Can you test the aquarium and well water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, pH, general hardness and carbonate hardness? If you don't have all those test kits, take a sample of each to the local pet shop and see if they can test it for you. Make sure you label the water samples and write the results down and post here when you get them. We want numbers like ammonia 0, nitrite 0, pH 7.4, phosphate 0, etc.

When you post the pictures I will have a look at them.

Thanks for responding :)
Melafix, pimafix, and API general cure. (Water change and a day or two between meds) the tank was clean and pristine when we left. I believe we did a swap almost a week before we left. We had someone who was supposed to come over for the cats,but i dont think she showed up much. There was an auto feeder in the tank (which still had a lot left when we got back,almost like they didnt eat much)and we asked that the fish not be messed with since the feeders were already put in place. I dont have tests for phosphate or carbonate. But the ph is 7.2 maybe 7.3. Ammonia is currently at about .03ppm. No nitrite or nitrates as stated above. And ill get hardness and pictures up in a sec.

Ok it won't let me upload pictures?? Also im dumb i do have carbonate test xD ok so kh is around 120 gh is looking closer to 180

The images are probably too big. If you set the camera resolution to a lower level the images will be smaller. Alternatively put the images on a free image hosting website like imageshack.com and then copy the link here.

Is it possible that your house lost power while you were gone killing the first 2 fish which polluted the water making the other fish sick? I assume auto feeders require a power source? If you lost power then the feeder wouldn't have droped food and your filter would have been off killing your cycle and not cleaning the tank.

What size tank are the Loaches in?

Danios need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, IMO 10 or more is better, they also need a tank thats at least 3 feet long as they are active swimmers.

auto feeders are normally battery operated, use 2 x AA batteries.

Kimm has a good point, a power failure is a possibility, especially considering you have a low ammonia reading now.

A power failure would be easy to spot. Just look at any digital clock that runs on electricity in your house, If its flashing on and off the power went out and came back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back