Hello and do my mollies need an uppgrade

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ggmolly

Reaction score
Hi Gee here

So in short my 54ltr tank of mollies has grown from 4 mid sized mollies to a shoal of 14 and a few small ones.

Generally healthy with the odd outbreak of dropsy and a few have died naturally due to age over the last couple of years.

Issue - Lot's of maintenance - I have a Fluval filter and feel like Im having to do a major clearn every few weeks

Issue 2 - Is the tank now too small?

Thanks

I would upgrade to a bigger tank. Mollies are big fish which need a tank at least 90cm (3 ft) long. With a bigger volume, not only will the fish be 'happier', it will be easier to keep on top of the water quality.

A bigger tank will need a bigger filter. When you get the new tank, transfer everything over and put the media from the current filter into the new filter, filling any gaps with new media. You can cut sponges to make them fit.
You will lose some bacteria during the transfer - those in the biofilm on the tank walls and the substrate if you replace that etc. Keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels for several days after the transfer. If you see either of them above zero a water change will get them down until the bacteria grow some more.

Most reactions

Back