Heavy Breathing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fuddmaster

Reaction score
hi ther have a question my 2 zebra danios are freaking out today after i did a water change so i turn the light s off and they settled down a bit but one is hiding at the bottom and is breathing heavy is evrything good is should i be worried

provide extra exchanging of gases by creating a disturbance on the surface of the water..
you can do this by :
putting an airstone and air pump in
putting the outflow of you pump or filter near the top of the waters surface
also try adding some stress coat as there may still be a bit of chlorine in your tank
hope this helps :good:

Rapidly swimming zebra danios is proper activity, it is not a cause for distress. That is the nature of the zebras when they are healthy. Zebras that are not moving much when you put the lights out are also quite normal, at the speed they usually move, they need to be able to see where they are going. It may be that the first time they actually felt comfortable in the tank was right after the water change. Before that the water quality may have been keeping them from their normal activity level. If you have an oxygen deficiency, Fifefish's suggestion could definitely help, but if you have had water quality problems, nitrites can also make the fish look like they have an oxygen deficiency. In a way they do since the nitrites will prevent them using oxygen efficiently.
What are the tests showing for ammonia and nitrites in your water? How long has the tank been set up? How long have the fish been in the tank? Are you following the typical pet shop advice of just throwing some zebras into a new tank and changing a bit of water every week or two?

check for ammonia and did you put water conditioner for chlorine if not then put it in! and also add a water stone inank and increase the no of your zebra danios to 6+ as they are schooling fish and are much happier that way.
shahrez

Thanks for everyhing the test are all good. im gonna be putting a air stone in and more zebras. thanks for everything

just added four zebra danios to my tank and the two that i had look soi much happier now thanks for the advice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back