Heating problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Bmcbride95

Reaction score
Hi. Iā€™m hoping someone can help me here. I have a 55 gallon tropical tank and the temperature can never stay consistent. Always changing from 80-85. Should I switch to a smaller heater? Can I get different lighting? Iā€™ve been think of taking one bulb out of each. I have two 24ā€ hoods with two bulbs each.

Might be a silly question, but have you tried turning the heater down? Never rely on the heater's settings to be accurate; be guided by your thermometer.

What wattage heater is it? What fish do you have; even 80Ā°C is far too warm for most tropicals. And what sort of lights do you have?

Itā€™s a 250watt heater. I have fluorescent bulbs. I have an angelfish, platys, tetras, mollies and plecos. Was told 80-82 was fine. Iā€™ve lost 2 fish over the span of 24hrs

Itā€™s a 250watt heater. I have fluorescent bulbs. I have an angelfish, platys, tetras, mollies and plecos. Was told 80-82 was fine. Iā€™ve lost 2 fish over the span of 24hrs

That is too warm for those fish species. Wild caught angelfish do need warmth at 82F+ but not commercially raised fish as any you buy in the store will most likely be unless they say they are wild caught. A temperature around 77F is sufficient.

It is always better to have two heaters in larger tanks, and I am assuming your "55" is probably 4 feet in length? A heater at either end is a good idea, both set for the same temperature. I would use 200w minimum, or 250w, or even 300w (for both). The lower wattage heaters tend to be more likely of failing. One of the heaters should be positioning next to the filter return so the water current dissipates the heated water.

It is four feet long. The heater is about 5 inches away from filter. I just discovered that I have ich which is why they die.

It is four feet long. The heater is about 5 inches away from filter. I just discovered that I have ich which is why they die.

I just saw your other thread, and the photo. That does seem to be ich, and advanced. Keeping the temperature high is good as this will speed up the life cycle making it easier to cure. I won't go further in this thread, it is best to keep a topic in one thread and the other one is about the dying fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back