Having a tough time

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I recently moved my 10 female bettas from a 30 gallon tank into a 14.5 gallon tank. Before they were moved I was treating the tank for a bacterial infection. I had lost 2 new females to dropsy. Now since moving the females to the 14.5 gallon one of them has developed holes in her fins. I thought it might be from her flaring too much as it was only her affected. Now though I noticed 2 other females with tiny tiny pin holes in their fins too. I started treating the tank with Waterlife Myxazin but felt like maybe the problem was due to stress and decided to move 5 of the females to another tank where they are being treating with Myxazin too.

I'm wondering if it sounds like the beginings of fin rot or if I am just being paranoid? The holes on the one female have been there for about 4-5 days now and are not healing up. I was adding salt to the tank in hopes they were just tears from displaying but they have not healed up even with the salt.

Am I on the right track?

If I'm not mistaken holes in fin is a prequil to fin rot...or a form of it.

If it's only her with the holes...I would take her out and treat her seperately with 1 salt Dip per day and then a salt Bath for about a week.

If after that time frame they don't look better..then I would try medicating with Tetracyclene...or M1/M2...but I would try the Tetracylcene first IMHO.

M1/M2 are the "big" guns and I wouldn't start them on those until I had too...if they build up a resistance to those..you are screwed when something "big" sticks out it's ugly head.

Good Luck.

Yes, pinholes in the fins are a sign of finrot. Thats how mine started, and now my little guy is so bad, his tail is still rotting, and his bottom fins' started too....I've been giving salt baths, daily 50% water changes, and feeding minimal to keep the water quality high, but for some, nothing helps. Just try to keep her water as clean as possible, and watch carefully, Mines' fins disintegrated overnight almost totally, its horrible :/ :-( Best of luck.

I'm treating the girls with JBL Furanol and today things are looking better. On the girl with the bigger holes 2 of them seem to be finally closing up.

The girl with the smaller pin hole is in another tank (they all were together but theres too many so I had to make 2 female tanks :p ) and in that tank I'm using Waterlife Myxazin. If I notice the pin hole on the other girl is getting bigger I guess I'll use the furanol in that tank too. The only reason why I am treating the other tank with the Myxazin is because it's more gentle and doesnt kill benificial bacteria. The furanol is pretty gentle too but it kills benificial bacteria.

SRC - The medication you talk about I cant get over here :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back