Hatchetfish on its side

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lefky

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 silver hatchetfish, 1 angelfish, 4 neon tetras and 4 emerald catfish with 2 being albino. The temperature is kept at a constant of 80 F as I live in a warm area. Recently, I am watching one of my hatchetfish balancing at the top before slowly tipping over and recorrecting itself. I havent had any problems in the past month with them (since I bought them). The 2 hatchetfish are always side by side but this one doesnt eat and doesnt move too much. I am not sure what is wrong with it hoping its something minor. Thank you!

How long has the tank been set up for?
Has the filter cycled (developed the good bacteria to keep ammonia & nitrite levels at 0) yet?
Have you tested the aquarium water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
If yes, what are the results in numbers?

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

Can you post a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the image is too big to post on here, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on here.
If the video is too big post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. we can view it at YouTube.

------------------------
Test the water and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until we work out what is going on. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

-------------------------
The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep. :)
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/#post-3804819

How long has the tank been set up for?
Has the filter cycled (developed the good bacteria to keep ammonia & nitrite levels at 0) yet?
Have you tested the aquarium water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
If yes, what are the results in numbers?

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

Can you post a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the image is too big to post on here, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on here.
If the video is too big post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. we can view it at YouTube.

------------------------
Test the water and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until we work out what is going on. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep. :)
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/#post-3804819
I greatly appreciate the concern for my fish, but he sadly passed away within the same day. I have had the tank for almost a month and I have external filter thats always running. I am planning on testing the water later today and cleaning the tank aswell. Do you think I should also change the filter pads?

Do you think I should also change the filter pads?
no.

Anything that breaks down in the water, be it fish food, fish waste, dead plant, dead fish, etc, produce ammonia. In a healthy tank with an established filter, the ammonia is eaten by beneficial bacteria and converted into nitrite. You get more good bacteria that eat nitrite and convert it into nitrate. You get rid of nitrates by doing water changes.

In a new tank the bacteria is not normally present and you get a build up of ammonia that harms and can kill the fish. A few weeks after the tank has been set up, you get the first colonies of good bacteria that eat the ammonia. A couple of weeks after that you start to get the other good bacteria that eat the nitrite. It normally takes about 4-6 weeks for an aquarium to develop the colonies of good bacteria that keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at 0.

When the ammonia and nitrite levels have gone up and come back down to 0, and the nitrate levels start to go up, the tank will be considered cycled (developed the necessary good filter bacteria).

Until then you keep feeding down and water changes up. By reducing the food going into the tank, you help to keep the ammonia levels lower. By doing big water changes, you help to dilute any ammonia in the water.

In a newly set up aquarium, you should feed the fish a couple of times per week. Don't worry, the fish won't starve. You should also do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding. And you should monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and do a 75% water change any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
*NB* Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

The big water changes will not harm the filter bacteria or fish as long as any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

During the first month of a tank's cycle, you monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels. You normally get ammonia readings for the first few weeks. The ammonia goes up and as the beneficial filter bacteria build up in numbers they gradually convert the ammonia into nitrite. After a few weeks the ammonia level will suddenly drop to 0 and the nitrite will start to go up. A couple of weeks later the nitrite levels drop to 0 and the nitrates start to go up. You get rid of nitrates by doing water changes.

During the cycling period you do not test for nitrates until the ammonia and nitrite have gone up and come back down to 0. Nitrate test kits will read nitrite as nitrate and give you a false reading. So you monitor ammonia during the first few weeks and then start monitoring nitrite as well. Once they have both gone up and come down to 0, you start monitoring nitrate.

Do not clean the new filter for the first 6-8 weeks. This allows the filter bacteria a chance to settle in properly and stick to the filter media. Two weeks after the filters have finished cycling, you can start to clean the filter.

Established filters should be cleaned at least once a month and every 2 weeks is better.

To clean a power filter or internal sponge/ box filter. You get a bucket of water from the aquarium and squeeze the filter materials out in the bucket of tank water. When they are clean you put them in the aquarium. Wash/ rinse the filter case and impellor assembly (for a power filter) under tap water. Remove any excess tap water by tipping the filter case upside down, then put the filter materials back into the filter and set it back up and get it going.

Do not replace filter pads unless they start to fall apart. You can add sponges to the filter to hold the beneficial bacteria and they will last for years so you don't have to replace filter pads.

You can get round/ cylindrical sponges for some brands of internal power filter. These sponges have a hole through the centre and can be put on the intake strainer of the external filter.

no.

Anything that breaks down in the water, be it fish food, fish waste, dead plant, dead fish, etc, produce ammonia. In a healthy tank with an established filter, the ammonia is eaten by beneficial bacteria and converted into nitrite. You get more good bacteria that eat nitrite and convert it into nitrate. You get rid of nitrates by doing water changes.

In a new tank the bacteria is not normally present and you get a build up of ammonia that harms and can kill the fish. A few weeks after the tank has been set up, you get the first colonies of good bacteria that eat the ammonia. A couple of weeks after that you start to get the other good bacteria that eat the nitrite. It normally takes about 4-6 weeks for an aquarium to develop the colonies of good bacteria that keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at 0.

When the ammonia and nitrite levels have gone up and come back down to 0, and the nitrate levels start to go up, the tank will be considered cycled (developed the necessary good filter bacteria).

Until then you keep feeding down and water changes up. By reducing the food going into the tank, you help to keep the ammonia levels lower. By doing big water changes, you help to dilute any ammonia in the water.

In a newly set up aquarium, you should feed the fish a couple of times per week. Don't worry, the fish won't starve. You should also do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding. And you should monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and do a 75% water change any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
*NB* Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

The big water changes will not harm the filter bacteria or fish as long as any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

During the first month of a tank's cycle, you monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels. You normally get ammonia readings for the first few weeks. The ammonia goes up and as the beneficial filter bacteria build up in numbers they gradually convert the ammonia into nitrite. After a few weeks the ammonia level will suddenly drop to 0 and the nitrite will start to go up. A couple of weeks later the nitrite levels drop to 0 and the nitrates start to go up. You get rid of nitrates by doing water changes.

During the cycling period you do not test for nitrates until the ammonia and nitrite have gone up and come back down to 0. Nitrate test kits will read nitrite as nitrate and give you a false reading. So you monitor ammonia during the first few weeks and then start monitoring nitrite as well. Once they have both gone up and come down to 0, you start monitoring nitrate.

Do not clean the new filter for the first 6-8 weeks. This allows the filter bacteria a chance to settle in properly and stick to the filter media. Two weeks after the filters have finished cycling, you can start to clean the filter.

Established filters should be cleaned at least once a month and every 2 weeks is better.

To clean a power filter or internal sponge/ box filter. You get a bucket of water from the aquarium and squeeze the filter materials out in the bucket of tank water. When they are clean you put them in the aquarium. Wash/ rinse the filter case and impellor assembly (for a power filter) under tap water. Remove any excess tap water by tipping the filter case upside down, then put the filter materials back into the filter and set it back up and get it going.

Do not replace filter pads unless they start to fall apart. You can add sponges to the filter to hold the beneficial bacteria and they will last for years so you don't have to replace filter pads.

You can get round/ cylindrical sponges for some brands of internal power filter. These sponges have a hole through the centre and can be put on the intake strainer of the external filter.
With my filter, it creates a small waterfall. Its small and it attaches and hangs from the edge of the tank. Before I started putting fish into my tank, I waited around 2 weeks before putting in my first couple fish. Is there anything I should add to the water to make it clean and healthy for the fish? What about real plants?

With my filter, it creates a small waterfall. Its small and it attaches and hangs from the edge of the tank. Before I started putting fish into my tank, I waited around 2 weeks before putting in my first couple fish. Is there anything I should add to the water to make it clean and healthy for the fish? What about real plants?

Welcome to TFF.

Colin dealt with your initial issues so I will second that and move on to other issues to be aware of here.

Live plants are beneficial, no question. But like fish, different plant species have differing requirements so before charging in you need to consider the tank lighting in particular because this drives photosynthesis which is how plants grow. Floating plants are the easiest to manage and they are also the best in terms of their benefits.

There is no need for water additives beyond a good conditioner to deal with chlorine and/or chloramine. Every substance added to the tank water gets inside the fish, and some of these additives can cause problems for fish to say the least. Clean water, with a substantial partial water change once each week will go a long way to healthy fish.

You have some issues with the fish mentioned, in a 20g tank. Angelfish grow large and need a much larger tank, and soon if theey are to develop properly as they grow. You may want to re-think angelfish unless you have a larger aquarium.

Hatchetfish are shoaling species which must have a group. There are three different genera, each with more than one species, and we will need to know which species you have. Common names like "Silver Hatchetfish" can be used for several of these. A group of 7-8 minimum is better for all the hatchetfish, and ideally a few more especially for the smaller species in the genus Carnegiella.

Neon tetras and the cories are also shoaling fish, and a group of six ins minimum but again the more the better. However, space is an issue here. As is temperature...does the tank remain at 80F day and night? If this is permanent, both the cories and the neons will find life more difficult. We might be able to find different species depending upon your response to the temperature issue.

Welcome to TFF.

Colin dealt with your initial issues so I will second that and move on to other issues to be aware of here.

Live plants are beneficial, no question. But like fish, different plant species have differing requirements so before charging in you need to consider the tank lighting in particular because this drives photosynthesis which is how plants grow. Floating plants are the easiest to manage and they are also the best in terms of their benefits.

There is no need for water additives beyond a good conditioner to deal with chlorine and/or chloramine. Every substance added to the tank water gets inside the fish, and some of these additives can cause problems for fish to say the least. Clean water, with a substantial partial water change once each week will go a long way to healthy fish.

You have some issues with the fish mentioned, in a 20g tank. Angelfish grow large and need a much larger tank, and soon if theey are to develop properly as they grow. You may want to re-think angelfish unless you have a larger aquarium.

Hatchetfish are shoaling species which must have a group. There are three different genera, each with more than one species, and we will need to know which species you have. Common names like "Silver Hatchetfish" can be used for several of these. A group of 7-8 minimum is better for all the hatchetfish, and ideally a few more especially for the smaller species in the genus Carnegiella.

Neon tetras and the cories are also shoaling fish, and a group of six ins minimum but again the more the better. However, space is an issue here. As is temperature...does the tank remain at 80F day and night? If this is permanent, both the cories and the neons will find life more difficult. We might be able to find different species depending upon your response to the temperature issue.
Everytime I look at the thermometer on the side. It reads 80F. I have been thinking of purchasing a water cooler because I live in a much warmer area. The angelfish has not grown in the month I have had him and does not mess with any of the other fish in the tank. I am planning on getting 3 more hatchets, 2-4 more tetras and maybe a new species. Along with all this I recently got my water tested and these were the results: (with ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite, it is read between 0-.49 but only shows in a pattern of .25 for ammonia and .5 for nitrate and nitrite.)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Total Hardness: 75 soft
Total Chlorine: 0
Total Alkalinity: 120
pH: 7.8

The species of catfish I have I believe are Emerald Catfish, but I am not certain I was given them as a gift. The hatchetfish are Silver Hatchetfish.

Everytime I look at the thermometer on the side. It reads 80F. I have been thinking of purchasing a water cooler because I live in a much warmer area.
Don't waste your money on one. I live in Australia and the tanks can hit 30C+ (86F+) in summer and the fish are fine. And most aquarium fish are bred in tropical Asia where the temperature regularly sits between 30-40C.

Don't add any new fish until the filters have been fully cycled for at least 2 weeks. You want the ammonia and nitrite to sit on 0 for at least 2 weeks after the filters have cycled, before you get more fish.

Don't waste your money on one. I live in Australia and the tanks can hit 30C+ (86F+) in summer and the fish are fine. And most aquarium fish are bred in tropical Asia where the temperature regularly sits between 30-40C.

Don't add any new fish until the filters have been fully cycled for at least 2 weeks. You want the ammonia and nitrite to sit on 0 for at least 2 weeks after the filters have cycled, before you get more fish.
Before I added my first fish, the angelfish, I waited around 2 weeks before purchasing him. I now have 10 fish with NO2 and NO3 levels at 0 same with the ammonia levels.

It takes around 4-6 weeks (sometimes longer) for a filter to develop properly. If the tank has had fish in for less than 2 months, then wait a bit before adding fish.

It takes around 4-6 weeks (sometimes longer) for a filter to develop properly. If the tank has had fish in for less than 2 months, then wait a bit before adding fish.
With the current 10 fish I have, should I wait a couple weeks before adding in any more? Is it ok for the tetras to only have 4 and the hatchetfish to be alone for about 2 weeks?

I would wait a few more weeks before adding more fish. The current fish will be fine for a couple of weeks.

With the current 10 fish I have, should I wait a couple weeks before adding in any more? Is it ok for the tetras to only have 4 and the hatchetfish to be alone for about 2 weeks?

You do not have space for more fish in this tank. I explained about the angelfish needing a larger tank so you should first deal with that issue.

"Silver Hatchetfish" can refer to several different species. You need to pin this down before we can deal with adding more or not. I will post photos of the species that are sometimes called "Silver Hatchetfish". All of these must have a group, but the larger-sized species will not have sufficient space in this tank as they are more active, so it is important to identify what you have.

Attachments

• Gasteropelecus sternicla.jpg
    Gasteropelecus sternicla.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 253
  • Carnegiella marthae (2).jpg
    Carnegiella marthae (2).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 242
  • Thoracocharax-stellatus-upper-Purus.jpg
    Thoracocharax-stellatus-upper-Purus.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 323
You do not have space for more fish in this tank. I explained about the angelfish needing a larger tank so you should first deal with that issue.

"Silver Hatchetfish" can refer to several different species. You need to pin this down before we can deal with adding more or not. I will post photos of the species that are sometimes called "Silver Hatchetfish". All of these must have a group, but the larger-sized species will not have sufficient space in this tank as they are more active, so it is important to identify what you have.
I was given these as a gift, but they look likeCarnegiella Marthae.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back