What's new

harlequin problem

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
I have 3 harlequin rasboras I got 3 days ago. The tank was fully cycled long before I got them, and the stats now are:
ammo 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 5
ph 7.0
temp 78

I just walked in the room the tank is in and turned on the room light. The tank light has been on since 9 this morning. One of the harlequins was sitting on the bottom, no colors showing at all. After I touched him with the vaccum he barely moved. Finally after about 5 minutes he started to color-up a little and swam for a minute kind of darting around. Then he sat back down on the bottom and hasn't moved since. The other 2 were doing ok, other than being really still when I first went in there. I don't know if the room light being off made them think it was bedtime even though the tank lights were on or what. But I think something is wrong with the one. There are no visible signs on anything wrong other than his color not being right.
Any ideas??

Thanks, in advance.

I have absolutely no clue, but do you have any way to quarentine this fish? It doesn't sound good though :/

As for the others, could they possibly be timid? I've heard of some fish hiding for a while until they are used to their environment.

Well the thing is they've all been tearing a** around the tank since I got them. Swimming everywhere, started eating good last night, seemingly no problems until now. I did notice that the one that's acting weird also was a bit duller than the others were right after I got them home. He never has been as vividly marked as the others. But now it's like the black area is just light gray.

hmmm...

Main symptoms - pale and listless. Still eating, as of last night. Could be countless things, unfortunately. Were you able to seperate them?

On the other hand, some of my tiger barbs become pale when they are sleeping and take about 10 -15 minutes to wake up when I turn the lights on after dark.

He kind of acted sleepy, but I don't know if that could be it since the actual tank lights were on. Very strange.
I've been trying to catch him, but between the plants, the other fish and him being the fastest fish known to mankind, I've had no luck.

Well now I'm really stumped. He's colored-up fully, swimming around with the others like nothing is wrong. Maybe he was just sleeping, and I woke him up. I didn't think they'd sleep with the tank lights still on, but maybe it was his bedtime and went to bed anyways. Do fish do that??

its possible...mine dont....he could of been really streessed due to the fact that u just got him

Fish have got to sleep sometime.

3 isnt really enough. They are a schoaling fish and prefer to be in a group of more than 6. But your tank is pretty overstocked as is IMO.

Id leave him for a few days. Dont catch him, leave the lights on there noemal hours, and come back in a few days and keep an eye on him betweem times.

Harquins are pretty timid fish, and during the acclimitisaton period can be spooked. Could have been the lights suddenly appearing too. But they should get used to it.

I really think if you would were to keep more harliquins (to make a bigger schoal), and you were to keep gouramis comfortably (3 in a 10 gallon is a biyt too close) and add more cories (they too prefer a schoal) you will need to upgrade to a bigger tank. Maybe a 30gal or a 20. :nod: Other wise they will not be too happy.

I also forgot to add harliquins IME prefer warmer temps of 82F or 28C to show there full colour. :)

I'd love to be able to get a larger tank, but space and money are prohibitive of that. I was told that as long as there were 3 of the harleys and cories they would be fine, and that the trio of the honeys I have were good too since they only get 1 1/2" long.
I will keep a close watchful eye on them all, and if I see any problems arising I'll just have to return some and rearrange the groups to suit them better.
Thanks for the advice, all of you! :thumbs:

Edit: So I should up the temp? Will the cories and gouramis be ok with that?

Miagi, is that puppy yours in your avatar? He's too adorable!!

The cories might not like it. So leave it be for now, im sure he should come around. :) If he doesnt, you could always try and slowly raise it.,

Huh, I've always been told that over 26 C (79 F) is a big no-no for harlequins. It's too hot for them and will shorten their life span (they can live for up to 10 years). I've noticed that now during the summer heat, when the tank temperature rises to 28 C (82 F) regardless of fanning, my harlequins get a lot more passive and lethargic. I don't think that high a temperature is good for them.

Morrgan said:
Huh, I've always been told that over 26 C (79 F) is a big no-no for harlequins. It's too hot for them and will shorten their life span (they can live for up to 10 years). I've noticed that now during the summer heat, when the tank temperature rises to 28 C (82 F) regardless of fanning, my harlequins get a lot more passive and lethargic. I don't think that high a temperature is good for them.
My tank holds a temp of 24-26c constantly. The harlequins are no trouble. Even when we had that really hot spell and the temp rose to 30c they seemed to cope with it suprisingly well. Mind you for harlequins mine seem rather butch by any standards. :flex: :lol: They happily school with the endlers and won't hesitate to chase the larger tetras if they're feeling particularly butch.
FW it may well just be bedtime. Mine go to bed about an hour after their light goes off. I have my bedroom lamp on still so it's not completely dark in the room but I rarely put on the main light after dark anyway. They tend to tuck down at the back of the tank out of sight. Can't say I've noticed a loss of colour in mine, but the light is obviously different anyway so. Although when I first got them a few did pale a little for several days. Due to stress I believe.
I'm sure he's ok tho. :thumbs:
Hugs,
P.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back