Hardest To Kill?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

flying_babyb

Reaction score
What fish would you reccomend for someone who has bad luck? i killed 4 plattys and 3 tetras (no clue how) and have reistablished my tank in a effort to save my fish. I have one tiny bottom feeder, a medium bottom feeder, and one huge one. I also have one lone remaining platty. I also have 3 snails. What can put in there that im not likey to kill? the heartier the better.

Minnows, Guppy's, Plecs, Puffer... All those ones seem like hard little bastards with regards to water quality and to keep.

We need a bit of further information here:

how big is the tank?

how long has it been set up?

how did you set it up?

how did you add fish and over how long a period of time?

do you know your water stats: ammonia and nitrites in particular?

what species are your bottom feeders?

did the dead fish show any symptoms before demise?

We need a bit of further information here:

how big is the tank? 10 gallon

how long has it been set up? 3 weeks (empty) a week full

how did you set it up? Its standaard. Filter over the back of the tank, airator down the side, gravel on the bottom with things to hide in

how did you add fish and over how long a period of time? a few motnhs, I started with one then another . I seemed to aquire them once a month.

do you know your water stats: ammonia and nitrites in particular? not yrt

what species are your bottom feeders? Im not sure, I bought all 3 at the pet store

did the dead fish show any symptoms before demise? eh we had one with a white spot (ick right)

i know how a few died! I had turned my filter off for a day

You shouldnt be thinkin that way :X . Find what the problem is (Why are all the fish dying), then you work your way up to a solution (Making a happy fish friendly enviorment). You said you had white spot or Ich, before you think of getting any new fish you have to resolve your Ich problemo. I'm not sure if its worth it but you can empty and clean your whole tank then cycle it over again (Fishless). Other than that you can propably get rid of them with a generic brand of Ich control. Also try cleaning out the gravel and clean off the fake plants as that would help with the nasties.

You shouldnt be thinkin that way :X . Find what the problem is (Why are all the fish dying), then you work your way up to a solution (Making a happy fish friendly enviorment). You said you had white spot or Ich, before you think of getting any new fish you have to resolve your Ich problemo. I'm not sure if its worth it but you can empty and clean your whole tank then cycle it over again (Fishless). Other than that you can propably get rid of them with a generic brand of Ich control. Also try cleaning out the gravel and clean off the fake plants as that would help with the nasties.
I did treat my tank for ick and as i stated already I boiled everything before putting in the 10 gallon when I transfrred the fish. They were in a two gallon.

Zebra Danios seem pretty hardy. You can't kill those suckers with a hammer.

Karl

It is hard to tell what is going on, without knowing the full stocking of the tank. 10 gallons is a small tank, which would be fully stocked with the 4 platies and 3 tetras on their own. If it contained further fish at the same time, it may be that a problem with the water quality made the fish more suceptible to disease. Or you may just have been unlucky and a fish brought a bad case of ich in.
In any case, you need to identify your catfish, as they can grow to anything up to 4 feet long depending on species. Can you post us a pic?

I am very reluctant to mention a specific type of fish that is foolproof; IME all fish have some sort of requirements that need to be fulfilled; some clearly are easier for aquarists to fulfil than others; but tank problems need to be remedied. Danios are hardy as to water stats, but do need to be kept in schools with sufficient swimming space.
Instead, we need to put our finger on why things are going wrong in this tank. They often get a raw deal because they are said to be bombproof; a read through the emergency section of this forum should be enough to convince the reader that this is not entirely the case.

, Guppy's, Puffer... All those ones seem like hard little bastards with regards to water quality and to keep.

aren't those famous for being very sensitive :blink:

Which one? Guppy's or Puffer.

We never had a problem with Guppy's, my Mrs went out once and bought a b/new fish tank and put Guppy's in it within a few hours "unknown to me" I remember telling her at the time they would all be dead by the end of the week, well they went on to live for ages and refused to die even when the heater broke when we was away for a few days.. they just refused to die.

As for the puffer have had him so long now he just seems indestructible

guppies are notoriously weak, but that's because of inbreeding not because of the actual species. if you get a strong batch then yes they're pretty hardy..... but they can be a bit hard to come by.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back