Hang on power filter or internal power filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

stickitywit

Reaction score
Im going to be setting a 15 gallon soon and i cant decide on which one to use. I have never given internal power filters much thought before. I have always had success with hang on power filters, im considering the cascade power filter by penn plaxx i believe. The only internal power filter i know about is from tetratec, anyone with experience on internal power filters. I usually dont stock so high because i travel and im gone for days at a time, rest of the family only knows how to feed them and top off with water.

If you've had good results with the HOB and are away for days at a time i'd stick with the HOB's, since you know what you'll be getting for your money, how they operate, etc :)

I've always used the hang on external power filters and think they're great and easy to maintain, not that there is anything wrong with other types of filters. It's a matter of preference and functionality. If it works for you go for it. You might want to try one with a bio-wheel.

A couple of years ago I took the plunge and got an external cannister filter. Best thing I have ever done.

If you can afford it they are worth considering. I sometimes find eggs, danio fry and swordtail fry in mine as well.

As far as internal filters go, why take up valuable space with equipment if you don't have to ;)

For a 15gal tank a nice HOB bio-wheel would be all you need. A 15gal isnt that big of a tank so theres no reason to waste space with an internal filter. A Penguin/Emperor bio-wheel mini is rated for 20gal and is reasonably cheap.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back