Hand washing and cross contamination

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KeithF11138

Reaction score
OK something I do is wash my hands (and forearms) whenever I am working with the tank. It is almost like I am working with raw chicken when I am cooking. If I touch something between going in and out of a tank I wash up again.

Am I overdoing it? Of course if I am using any sort of chemical agent, household cleaners, etc. I should wash up 1st.

I wash my hands under plain water (no soap) before I put them into an aquarium. Always.

You should also wash them using soap after you are finished because it is possible to transfer bacteria to humans from fish/aquarium water.

I do not wash them in between tanks when I do the water changes on 8 or whatever number of tanks, though some people will advise this. This intermediate washing is to avoid transferring fish disease from one tank to another. But if you have a tank in which you know there is an issue, this is advisable. Or leave the "problem" tank to the end.

Obviously implements like the water changer, nets, bucket, etc can also transfer disease from one tank to another. So if you worry about your hands doing this, worry about implements too. A friend of mine disinfects the Python after each use, but this is cumbersome.

OK something I do is wash my hands (and forearms) whenever I am working with the tank. It is almost like I am working with raw chicken when I am cooking. If I touch something between going in and out of a tank I wash up again.

Am I overdoing it? Of course if I am using any sort of chemical agent, household cleaners, etc. I should wash up 1st.

If it makes you feel any better you’re not the only one who is guilty of this habit.

As a retired healthcare professional, unless you are using soap, water alone will not kill bacteria.

Due to someone telling me that his friend got a major infection from his fish tank water, I generally do wash before and after putting my hands in my tanks. This is especially important if you have any cuts, no matter how small, on your hands where a fish disease or bacteria can enter you bloodstream. Washing your hands when handling fish tanks is a good practice to follow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back