The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guitarquen

Reaction score
I have a 55 Gallon Brackish with 6  young Celebes Halfbeaks, 3 young Scats, a green spotted puffer and a Knight goby.  They used to be in two tanks, but a couple of months ago, one sprung a leak and I had to combine them.  I guess because they were suddenly all together it stressed the halfbeaks and a few got a mouth fungus.  I have been cleaning the tank every week, or every other depending on parameters, and dosing with Pimafix (I also tried Melafix, but not at the same time)  I have even left the filter off, as recommended (though not required) for a week since it is activated carbon.  I also have dosed with epsom salts and aquarium salt.   My ph is 7.8, Sal. 1.014, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, and 10 ppm nitrates. The tank is very clean, and with appropriate bacteria (I use stresszyme).  None of the other fish seem afflicted, which is great since I worry about the scaleless puffer, but I have yet to completely kick the fungus from the halfbeaks.  Tomorrow I will be getting rid of two scats and two half beaks, which should help destress the others ( I think it's border line over crowding which is why I have been so dilligent to clean, but all of the fish are young and not full size), but is there any reason or any suggestions as to what else I could be doing?

guitarquen said:
I have a 55 Gallon Brackish with 6  young Celebes Halfbeaks, 3 young Scats, a green spotted puffer and a Knight goby.  They used to be in two tanks, but a couple of months ago, one sprung a leak and I had to combine them.  I guess because they were suddenly all together it stressed the halfbeaks and a few got a mouth fungus.  I have been cleaning the tank every week, or every other depending on parameters, and dosing with Pimafix (I also tried Melafix, but not at the same time)  I have even left the filter off, as recommended (though not required) for a week since it is activated carbon.  I also have dosed with epsom salts and aquarium salt.   My ph is 7.8, Sal. 1.014, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, and 10 ppm nitrates. The tank is very clean, and with appropriate bacteria (I use stresszyme).  None of the other fish seem afflicted, which is great since I worry about the scaleless puffer, but I have yet to completely kick the fungus from the halfbeaks.  Tomorrow I will be getting rid of two scats and two half beaks, which should help destress the others ( I think it's border line over crowding which is why I have been so dilligent to clean, but all of the fish are young and not full s
ize), but is there any reason or any suggestions as to what else I could be doing?
Your halfbeak is likely suffering because of the high salinity, while absolutely fine for your scats and puffer it is a little high for your goby and halfbeaks:
http://brackishfaq.webspace.virginmedia.com/Projects/brackishfaq.html

When I took the scats in today they told me the SG was actually 1.007.  So i guess my hydrometer is wonky.

Sg1.007 for Celebes is still high,you could bring your salinity down to Sg1.003 and it will still be fine for your goby. It will be too low for your gsp which many will keep at marine levels. I'd think about returning your puffer because of the salinity requirements but also their temperament; they're known to get more aggressive as they age and the goby fins may just get too tempting!
I'd think about doing a low brackish tank with maybe a couple more knights or pair of orange chromides or some brackish glassfish?

Wow really?  Because I had heard that they are also notoriously difficult to breed, and will only do so when they are in good water conditions, and mine seem to never stop breeding.  I was sure that was a sign they are happy with the environment, though they have stopped since the fungus first appeared. :(  I have been looking for their recommended SG all over, and only see listings for Ph requirements and "slightly brackish", besides that single link above.  I just like to see multiple sources agreeing, since there is so much conflicting information out there.  I'm within the PH range, but don't know exactly what that means for the SG, so maybe I am a bit high? as you guys suggest...  Also, I have always wondered if perhaps they have been correctly classified, so I am including some pics.  I know they're horrible, but it's all I got. 
Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to take the GSP, because my ex got him from Walmart, and when I went there they keep their fish in such dismal conditions, I would never take one back.  I have a hard enough time not buying all of them just so they will finally get enough food.  He's still really young, so I guess I could take the levels down a bit and he would be fine for a while ( I know they can live 10-15 years and in full maturity eventually prefer full marine). Or maybe I could post on Craigs list, since he is super happy and healthy.   But, he's my favorite
confused.gif
...I'm going to have to get another tank aren't I?
I've also been looking at bumblebee gobies, but don't want to introduce anything to the tank until I get this right.
So basically, if I get rid of Toby (the GSP) I should just take the salinity down and everyone else will be happier and healthier? 

Attachments

• halfbeak 2.jpg
    halfbeak 2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 279
  • halfbeak 4.jpg
    halfbeak 4.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 322
  • halfbeak 5.jpg
    halfbeak 5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 309
  • halfbeak 6.jpg
    halfbeak 6.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 306
The pictures aren't great but they do look like the Celebes Halfbeak.  I thought that they were true freshwater fish and was suprised to read the Neale Monks page which said they could be acclimitised to SG1.003.

I know what you mean about extra tanks - I went up to 4 because of incompatiblity issues!

Yes I would lose the GSP and bring the salinity down but bumblebee gobies will end up dinner for the Knights.  If you like your puffers you could try the Figure 8 which is at home at SG1.003@25DegC.  Puffers always need to come with a warning that they can be aggressive but my F8's have always been docile (like their owner).

Most reactions

trending

Back