Hair Algae And Green Algae On Glass Walls

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snazy said:
no it isnt. my fish tank quickly goes cloudy if i dont have enough surface movement, because of lack of oxygen. i have to put the health of my fish first obviously

Air pumps are good at outgassing CO2, so the plants suffer and it's not very efficient in providing oxygen. Surface movement for oxygen is best when provided by the filter. You also need that flow to circulate all around the tank so if filtration isn't setup correctly, or is not enough, then you'll have dead areas around the tank that become home for anaerobic bacteria, which causes the white cloudy water you see when they multiply a lot.  I am presuming your filter on it's own doesn't cope, hence the air pump but if you want a planted tank it's best if you use a second filter rather than air pumps and make sure you've got circular flow that goes from top to bottom. The flow rate of the filters combined per manufacturer's specifications should be around 10x the water volume an hour for best results.
You have a fine taste for decoration and the tanks are lovely but your understanding of how tanks work is based on old theories that have been proven wrong.
my malawi tank has an airstone directly under the outflow of the filter and i have seen a huge improvement in water clarity since i put that in, i dont have wavemakers and powerheads, so i stuck an air stone there which also stops the dead spot around the heater, as for my comm tank i have the same filter and it copes fine with just surface movement in terms of oxygen but would be too rippled for floating plants. i havent had an airstone in my comm tank for a while now and i dont feel i need it, although i was trialing an airstone a few weeks back, but i just find them too loud and awkard to deal with. i appreciate your comments about my tanks, but i dont feel my comm tank is anywhere near nice, everytime i look at it, im just reminded of how good it used to be compared to now :/ perhaps i do have outdated knowledge, im no expert on planted tanks thats for sure!

The only thing is that you can't compare a planted tank with non-planted. Air stones are fine in a non-planted tank as it won't affect the plant growth.
No problem at all about the floating plants. I am not forcing you :) I just offered because I can give some for free.  They won't die from surface movement, just if there's splashing over the leaves, otherwise a degree of movement is ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back