Habrosus Cory Weird Swimming Behaviour, Ideas Please...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Recently an established tank in which I had some breeding Habrosus Cories started to have some losses. The tank also contained Celeste Danios, also breeding, which have also been healthy but since moved to another tank. All water parameters are the same as always, which includes 0 ammonia/nitrites. Yet regular water changes are the only thing I could think of doing.

One of the Corys has been doing this for a few days now, then I saw another do it recently but not as much. I note the cory in this video actually got better.

I have been adding Waterlife Myaxzin as the only thing I can think maybe a bacterial issue. Tonight I also added a small amount of Betta Spa to assist in softening the water, (hard water area) as this particular tank does not have any bogwood. However, it is weird that the tank has been established and stable with all fish breeding!

Any ideas anyone?
Has anyone experienced this before?

Bless Him.
He struggling to stay balanced.
Does he float upside down, Or lay on his back.

Anti internal bacteria medication by interpet. You can double dose in severe cases.
I would also try feeding some shelled peas.

Thanks Wilder...good to know I am not alone here.

He does lay on his back and looks dead, then suddenly starts swimming again. Today there is some improvement, and they are on their fourth day of five with the Waterlife Myaxzin treatment.

I noted he was flicking today and was in two minds whether to stop the treatment for 24 hours and then do a partial water change followed by treating with Waterlife Sterazin, for worms/flukes? I decided, as there had been some improvement, I would continue with the treatment I was using. Hopefully I have made the right choice. There are only two H-corys in the tank, with one Pygmy, but I really love to save any fish that appears to be suffering.

I also added a couple of days ago an extra sponge filter from my fry tank, including airline, so hopefully all will result in a positive outcome.

I fed them tonight a small amount of veggie food, so hope we are on the same lines :)

Good to hear there some improvement. But the cory that having real trouble might not make it.
Myxazin is an external medication. Need an internal bacteria medication. 
I noticed alot of flicking by the cory. Thought he was doing it to help him get balanced and up right.

If no other fish are flicking I wouldn't worry yet about a parasite. Corys are more prone to bacterial
infections.

Good Luck.
Fingers crossed.

Thanks Wilder. Went on the hunt for medication today and the regional Mgr for MA was in the store. He highly recommended AquaCare Anti-Internal Bacteria Medication. It is made by NT Labs, but basically in different packaging. The product contains Chlormine T, so fins crossed this works for the poor fella, who is still fighting.

Good Luck.

Lets us all know how you get on. That's if you don't mind.

Of course I will, we all benefit and hopefully other sick fish can survive from my learnings :)

He is more upright today. Have just put the second day of the new treatment in the tank.

Bless Him. Love corys.
Is he still struggling with balance when he swims?

Here I am Wilder, I am the little male in the middle... image.jpeg
Thanks for showing an interest. I am a lot better at present but tend to rest with my pals vs swimming around on my own upside down all the time, which has been rather exhausting. I have not been fed much lately, but hopefully I will get something more nourishing than a bit of cucumber or green food soon.

There so cute. There eyes are adorable.
Fingers crossed.
Thanks for pic and update.

I know, I love them too. So sad to loose some as this tank was breeding well and I have seven that I have raised, moved to a fry tank and then onto another tank once full grown. These three will go in with all the others, about 15 in total, once I feel they are cured. I plan to update an established tank, changing the substrate to sand for them all to enjoy. Currently shuffling a few tanks round, due to my MTS and pending move!

I went to treat again tonight and noted it is every other day, upto four treatments! Oops, I originally read it as every day for four days! I did a very small w/c, and will probably retreat tomorrow. At least the male is starting to show more normal behaviour, even settling with the female, who had shown very slight signs herself of the same issue whilst swimming. Fins crossed all will be well soon, bless them.

I've only seen something similar before when my peppered cory started floating and was wedging himself in against things to stop himself floating to the top.

I placed him in my quarantine tank and treated him with paraguard as I figured he had some infection that had led to a problem with his swim bladder.  Now he's as right as rain.  He suffered a little bit from the infection and lost part of his tail and it took a couple of weeks for him to recover and stop floating about (treated every day for five days when I moved him to QT).  And he wasn't eating either.  As soon as he got his appetite back I knew he was going to be ok.

Is he still doing well?

Thanks Far_king, hopefully the treatment he is on will cure any potential parasite as well. I need to look into it further to fully understand its abilities.

Wilder, he is still with us, and is upright now whenever I look at him. The tank has now had two full treatments (plus the accidental one), and is due for another tonight. I will keep you all upto date on how he is doing.

Alas sadly, I found the little fella had passed away last night :(

The tank had the four treatments with a day in between, as well as small water changes prior. It is for me that fine line, of when to either stop treatment or to euthanise. Although he remained upright prior to death, he did not move around much and when I did see him move he did not appear to swim very well. He had a red blotch on the side, see him in the front of picture, so not sure if the infection had done internal damage beyond repair?
image.jpeg

I am now closely watching the last female (rear of picture), plus the one pgmy cory in the tank to decide when I feel it is safe to move them in with the rest. They do not move around much, but then again, the dither fish and others are no longer in the tank with them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back