H E L P, My Fish Are Turning White And Dying !

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

alwyzchanging

Reaction score
SPECS:
10 Gal Tank
Community fish tank: red eye, cardinal & neon tetras, dwarf frogs, guppies & 1 mystery snail.
Temp: Constant 85 F
30 Gal water filter
1 Java fern live plant
regular aquarium gravel

OLD WATER READING AS FOLLOWS-
Nitrate:0
Nitrite:0
Hardness:75-150
Chlorine:0
Alkalinity:Off the chart low (way below 0)
PH: Off the chart acidic (way below 6.2)
Ammonia: *Didnt take a sample of this
Temp:85 F

CURRENT WATER READING AS FOLLOWS-
Nitrate:0
Nitrite:0
Hardness:75
Chlorine:0
Alkalinity:80
PH:7.2
Ammonia:0
Current temp: 85 F

**Please note that all water treatments I did, I have been giving the recommended dosage as described on the bottles.

MY PROBLEM:
Okay so the problem happened 2 weeks ago, half of my fish died and it looked like an outbreak of fin rot pretty much. So I did a 25% water change and medicated them with pimafix & melafix. Problem didnt go away, seemed to get worse so 2 weeks later, majority of my fish died. The dead bodies floated around the tank like jelly and it looked like white (translucent)skin. At this time I removed all the dead fish, cleaned out the water filter and did a 95% water change, left over fish seemed to be getting better- this is when I started doing a 50% water change every 3 days (at this time I also added stress coat & bacteria supplement to the water w/each water change I did). My last 50% water change was yesterday(at this point Ive been doing frequent water changes for abt. 2 wks). Today I come home to see 3 of my fish died with the white stuff on them and my frog is dead as well. When I tested the water, I had very low ph and low alklinity (please refer to the first set of readings). IDK whats going on, but i suspect the low ph & alklinity might be the culprit to my fish dying? PLEASE help with any information.
FYI once I saw the dead fish, I did a 90% water change today and havent added any water treatments at all and the reading came out normal (please refer to the second set of readings).

Attachments

• fin.jpg
    fin.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,172
I would say 85 is to high unless its for discus. Different species require different temperatures. Generally speaking, for tropical fish a good temperature range would be anywhere from 72 °F to 78 °F (22 ...

I would say 85 is to high unless its for discus. Different species require different temperatures. Generally speaking, for tropical fish a good temperature range would be anywhere from 72 °F to 78 °F (22 ...
i wouldnt run any tropical tank below 82f i run my tanks at 85f less risk of deseases

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back