Guppy’s tail faded over time?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I bought 3 male guppies in January and I have noticed over time one them had began to have a faded tail. This has got increasingly worse over time the male guppy had a red tail when I bought him and now this is a dark red no longer bright with a blackish tint. I did notice a colour change within the first week of bringing the fish home. Both of my others have are fine. What does this sound like to those who have more experience? I have suspected a parasite of some sort maybe? I’ve recently added another 4 males (these are really small almost babies but not fry) so I want to make sure if it’s anything to worry about I can sort this out now rather than have an outbreak of some disease later on. My guppies do flash occasionally even the new ones but I did have a spike of ammonia today that’s settling down now. I’ve also heard some degree of flashing is normal. Fish are just like humans and they get itchy too sometimes. I have started adding salt minerals as adviced by members on the forum because I live in a soft water area. I hoped this might have improved his colour. The fish are in a 10g tank by the 3 were in a 5 gallon initially and then moved over. The current tank has been set up around 2/3 weeks and the 5 gallon was set up around the same time. I added the 4 males this Thursday. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about it, guppies can take up to 10 months for them to fully develop their true colour

I wouldn't worry too much about it, guppies can take up to 10 months for them to fully develop their true colour

Many thanks for your reply, I’m glad to hear this. I hope this is the case and it’s not a parasite of some sort. Thank you :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back