guppys being bullied and dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Diane 777

Reaction score
Hi there,

thank you for taking the time to read my plea for help (whomever you might be). I have had gold fish for years (black moores, fantails and the like). I decided to switch to tropical. I love the hobby BUT my guppys never survive.

I have spent a fortune replacing the fish every two weeks or so. I had the water tested, thinking this was the problem. Now besides guppies, I have zebra danios, neon danios, platys, fantail molly (a very aggressive mail when males come near his harem :). algae eater, 2x albino sharks, cat fish. Black widow tetra.

ONLY the guppies drop; and I thought they were supposed to be hardy? Yesterday, I saw a black widow had a baby guppy in it's mouth. And this morning a female molly was chasing a guppy.

Question; I specifically started a community tank; but the fish are agressive and not very community like at all. do I get rid of all the other fish and just keep guppies; or give up on having gupppies which I really love?

I have loads of plants in the tank to give the fish hiding places; but I don't know what else to do :(...

Now besides guppies, I have zebra danios, neon danios, platys, fantail molly (a very aggressive mail when males come near his harem :). algae eater, 2x albino sharks, cat fish. Black widow tetra.

How big is this tank?

Have you got your stocking all wrong.

First up

How big is the tank
Is it cycled
What type of filter has it got
Has it got an airstone
What is the water temp
What is the PH
What are the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels.
Can you post a photo of the tank.

Yesterday, I saw a black widow had a baby guppy in it's mouth.
That sounds like a perfectly normal thing for a Black Widow to do when they see live food and catch it, And Tetras are faster than guppies, Also you will find that the Guppies Mollie Sharks and Danios will all hunt the fry and eat them.

Another problem is that some of those prefer soft water while others need hard water.

Once we know the answers to the above questions we will be able to advise you better,

Last edited:
[QUOTENow besides guppies, I have zebra danios, neon danios, platys, fantail molly (a very aggressive mail when males come near his harem :). algae eater, 2x albino sharks, cat fish. Black widow tetra.]

How big is this tank?

First up

How big is the tank
Is it cycled
Has it got an airstone
What is the water temp
What is the PH

That sounds like a perfectly normal thing for a Black Widow to do when they see live food and catch it, And Tetras are faster than guppies, Also you will find that the Guppies Mollie Sharks and Danios will all hunt the fry and eat them.

Another problem is that some of those prefer soft water while others need hard water.

Once we know the answers to the above questions we will be able to advise you better,[/QUOTE]
Nick is right on.

Id like to add. Your guppies are lasting two weeks? Is that correct?
Imo guppies are not as hardy as they once were.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

How big is this tank?

First up

How big is the tank
Is it cycled
Has it got an airstone
What is the water temp
What is the PH
wat

Once we know the answers to the above questions we will be able to advise you better,

hi and thank you for your prompt reply.

do you mean I have all the wrong fish together (to your comment of stocking all wrong?).

tank is 100 litres,
in terms of cycling; I've had it for about 6/7 months so I think the nitrate levels settled (I say this as I have fish that have survived since the beginning; it's just the guppies that are not).
it has a submersible filer with water running in and I put charcoal in the base (with the filter net),
water temp is 30degrees,
PH and amonia was tested (I took water to the fish shop and they gave me medicine to fix as at the time the PH was too low).
I can take a picture tonight and post tomorrow.

from the above it sounds like I have all the wrong fish. I really like guppies (what fish get on with them best - non aggressive)?

tx

hi and thank you for your prompt reply.

do you mean I have all the wrong fish together (to your comment of stocking all wrong?).

tank is 100 litres,
in terms of cycling; I've had it for about 6/7 months so I think the nitrate levels settled (I say this as I have fish that have survived since the beginning; it's just the guppies that are not).
it has a submersible filer with water running in and I put charcoal in the base (with the filter net),
water temp is 30degrees,
PH and amonia was tested (I took water to the fish shop and they gave me medicine to fix as at the time the PH was too low).
I can take a picture tonight and post tomorrow.

from the above it sounds like I have all the wrong fish. I really like guppies (what fish get on with them best - non aggressive)?

tx
if the water is 30 degrees F, than you definitely are doing a bunch wrong here. Yes he meant your stock (as in fish) are all screwed up, right now you don't have a tropical aquarium you just have a large square with fish in it lol.
and before you get more fish, you need to get rid of what you have, and buy a heater because again 30 degrees is below freezing.

Im guessing Celsius lol but thats 86. Too hot for mixed fish in there.

if the water is 30 degrees F, than you definitely are doing a bunch wrong here. Yes he meant your stock (as in fish) are all screwed up, right now you don't have a tropical aquarium you just have a large square with fish in it lol.
and before you get more fish, you need to get rid of what you have, and buy a heater because again 30 degrees is below freezing.

hey, thank you (it's 30 degrees C); warm :) the heater that is. my tank is warm.

It makes me so mad; everytime I visit Aquarium shops I specifically tell them what I have got and they never once told me I have the wrong mix ;(.

what is the right tropical tank mix then? your advice would be helpful :(

I would not take what any lfs employee says to heart. Listen but do your own research. Remember they are there to make money.

Im a guppy/endler fan. I know community tanks are popular. Imo though a species tank is beautiful. If you like guppies. Make a guppy tank. You could have quite a few in there. They are colorful and active as you know. Guppies, cories, and some rcs would make a nice set up.

I would not take what any lfs employee says to heart. Listen but do your own research. Remember they are there to make money.

Im a guppy/endler fan. I know community tanks are popular. Imo though a species tank is beautiful. If you like guppies. Make a guppy tank. You could have quite a few in there. They are colorful and active as you know. Guppies, cories, and some rcs would make a nice set up.

thank you - I have lost hundreds already (hence joining this forum) and out of pure luck yesterday I saw a baby in the Black widow tetra's mouth.

I will have to get rid of current fish then (bar the remaining guppies and take it from there).

:)

The aggression could be problem. Check your params just be safe. Guppies love planted tanks.
Imo ordering fish from a reputable vendor is generally better yet obviously shipping costs and doa are concerns. All though most have doa guarantee.
Typically people want male only guppy tanks. But with a tank your size (29?) You could get some females.

If you get females make sure you have a pre filter and again losts of plants. Any a possible future tank or a source for future fry.

The aggression could be problem. Check your params just be safe. Guppies love planted tanks.
Imo ordering fish from a reputable vendor is generally better yet obviously shipping costs and doa are concerns. All though most have doa guarantee.
Typically people want male only guppy tanks. But with a tank your size (29?) You could get some females.

If you get females make sure you have a pre filter and again losts of plants. Any a possible future tank or a source for future fry.

thank you - I believe the aggression definitely is. I have a few endlers too. My fantail molly is very aggressive I've noticed of late. I do not have any cory's as I want colourful fish. I have read that swordtails go well with guppies?

I know next too nothing about swords. Google is your friend. I know some species get some size to them.
bef77ca8eb1161d3b33145d5f6888b80.jpg

One of my hybrids. Hard to get a good picture. Much more impressive in person. Lol

it's lovely, thank you. I have a gorgeous one too (male) that I need to rescue before all the other fish get to him. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back