Guppy With Heart Shaped Tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wbzorker said:
Congrats on pink guppies!!!  I've heard they can be harder to breed.

Culling is a personal decision that can cause flaming on forums, but I'm pretty sure I'm flame proof in this area so here goes:

Currently, I do the following -Small fry are fed to my loach and tetra tanks.  Somewhat bigger are fed to the Angelfish tank.  Almost adult are fed to my African Rift Lake cichlids.  Adults are placed in Ziploc bags of tank water and put in the freezer, where I choose to believe they go to sleep as they freeze.

I'm a critter person, with 3 German Shepherds and 3 cats as well as the many fish tanks.  I feel completely different about my mammals than with the fish.  Not at first of course, but eventually the fact that I eat fish made a big difference to me. 

You just need to find your own comfort level.

Wendy

I don't judge.. I do something very similar.. except mine that get large enough can live in the 37 gallon with my Angles

hey if you are looking for a buyer i might be interested:) very unique tail. If its not too much trouble do you know what tail types his mom and dad was?

Well I am still working on this breeding project!  lol  Long process it is seeming.  I am down to just the two males in my tank with the females.  Have been having a rough time catching the females in time to save some fry.  It seems I have been blessed with some females who are NOT typical with signs prior to drop.  I have one who is eating them up just as soon as she spits them out.  Will try a breeding trap with her this time round.. should be a week or two out.  The good news is .. that every female in the tank now should be his stock or his sibling's stock.  So, just waiting for a bunch of fry to grow out and examine.  Again, will keep all of you in mind that expressed interest in these little bubs should I be successful in this. 

Well so much for the week or two out! lol Put two separate because they were looking close. One virgin, one mature. The virgin was not liking it at all so rejoined her with the clan this morning before work. Come home to fry in the tank! (face palm) Anyway, have only found 2 so far. But these are the start of my project for sure!! I am really excited but yet aggravated that I can't control them! lolol I am stilll looking for little ones cautiously. The ones I am finding though are good swimmers and were ready to be born. Watch them be females. Aha! Anyway, we are looking at fry pretty much from here on out. Now it's the waiting game for grow out. Good thing I still have 2 tanks to start with. lol

Well there are some large net traps. Maybe you can keep a boy and a girl in there together. That may be help full but I do not know. Best Of Luck! 
fish.gif

good.gif

I'm I the only one who things he looks like a neon tetra

Quick update~  The 2 fry that I found are now a week old and doing swimmingly!  We had the other female who I swore was ready last week finally birth yesterday.  I have 25 from her.  So we have 27 in the game right now.  None of these fry are pink so I'm a little more confident that they are finally a Mikey batch.  We'll see what happens!  I have a sponge filter almost ready to go so the little ones will have their 10 gallon grow out tank.  And starting up a second sponge filter for another tank.  I am excited but anxious in that it will still be a few months before I know if I have any heart tails.  Mikey's sibling, the one with a questionable tail, shows signs of an almost heart but not quite.  I'm keeping him in the game as he is close enough to maybe contribute something.  The virgin fry that gave birth to 2 last week also is showing signs of a tail similar to Mikey's mom's tail in that it seems to be getting larger than the others.  Much to watch! 

So I have lost only one fry so far!  Others are doing well!  They are between 2 and 3 weeks old now and starting to be able to tell male from female a tad.  Excited as I can see what appears to be some males in the group!  Can't wait to see if there are any heart tails!  I have 3 females ready to go this time round any day so we'll be adding to the mix. 

My apologies first for the horrible pics.  I am still trying to get the hang of snapping pics of these fast little buggers.  :)
Well Mikey's tail looks to never regain his former shape.  :(  But it is in his genes right!    Here is a pic of him with no more progress on his tail since the mosquito fish attack. 
Picture0430130635_1.jpg

And here are a couple of pics of the other male who was from the same mother as Mikey.. just a different drop. 
The first pic is of his tail earlier..
Picture0611131020_1.jpg

Wow.. not sure why so large of a pic!!  Sorry for that! 
One of these days my photography skills will get better too!
Here is one of Mikey's sibling's tail more now. 
Picture0618130906_1.jpg

Well my pics are deciding to resize themselves.  lol 
Here is one of my pink guppies.
Picture0618130903_1.jpg

Wow they really are beautiful! I wish you stayed nearer I would love to have some too!

Do any of you Guppy lovers have guppies with heart shaped tails? Or if you do not....if you saw one in your LFS....would you buy it? The reason I ask is because I have a 5 month old male with a heart shaped tail and I am considering breeding him. I would love to have a few more....but if I get tons of them....do you think they would be hard to unload? And if I did breed him...is there something special I should look for in a female to increase chances of heart tails? I have a pic uploaded to Photobucket but on my phone I can't transfer it here. Will do that tomorrow from the office. Thanks in advance for your time!
I have a beautiful black male with a heart shaped tail an it is outlined with blue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back