Guppy With Heart Shaped Tail

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Whereabouts are you? I'll have some virgin females ready soon :) If you're in the UK I can send you a couple. 

Ahhhhh....way on the other side of the pond Paradise!  lol  North East USA.  But thanks!  I will get on checking around for some though.  Thank you two for your input!  Appreciated as always!  :)

DyArianna said:
Ahhhhh....way on the other side of the pond Paradise!  lol  North East USA.  But thanks!  I will get on checking around for some though.  Thank you two for your input!  Appreciated as always! 
smile.png

Not a problem lol. Good look :)

Where is the US? Im in Ohio I have some fry that are a couple weeks old... thats as old as I have got... Petco also typically separates their females from males

Thanks for the offer Ash! We are about an hour and a half away from the Canadian border in the north east. Still pretty cold here so I want to avoid any shipping right now. We have a Petco but I don't trust them. Their staff doesn't know what they are doing and I don't trust their stock. We do have another little shop that I really trust though. Their employees are remarkably up to speed on a lot of stuff and so I would rather support them. Will be taking a run by there today in fact to check out their current stock. My daughter will be along with strict instructions to not let me buy fish/supplies I don't need! lol We will see if If I find a couple gals to Mikey's liking! a

Awesome! I agree on the temp.... but in a month if you still need some they will be bigger so just let me know.... they are too young to tell if they are male or female anyway.... they all look female to me lol.... but keep me updated.... and if you do end up getting more heart shaped I totally want to buy one ;)

I will keep you in mind Ash! 

Well I went to my LFS that I have so loved and trusted and now I want to strangle the girl who works there.  lol  Long story short... she sold me a mosquito fish in with the female guppies I bought for Mikey.  I am as much to blame I am sure but I had never seen a mosquito fish and never realized how much they can look like guppies!!  Within 2 hours this mosquito fish had managed to take chunks out of everyone's tails and almost bite off the tail of one of my fry completely.  Removed her immediately when i figured out what was going on.  So Mikey's cool tail now has a piece missing...but hopefully it will grow back!  Atleast he now has some female companionship and we'll see if anything happens from here.  I have decided to not separate them from the other few guppies and just see what happens.  One should be ready to drop here within a week I think and that will get atleast one LFS drop out of the way.  I will let her birth in the tank and see if I can find a survivor or two.  Atleast we'll have some new genes for any lines that develop later.  Will update should I find any more heart shaped tails come out of this.  Thanks guys! 

Wow I am going to have to look up mosquito fish.... That is crazy that they are getting mixed in.

AshP1986 said:
OMG THEY LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you tell them apart?

Female Mosquito Fish are very, very aggressive. Plus unless you're buying wild or "feeder" type female guppies, they will all have larger tails than Mosquito Fish as Mosquito Fish are still male for the wild with shorter tails. 

It was really hard to see a difference at first but then I noticed a dark spot on her side. And where her gravid spot would be there was basically nothing on the inside of her...but yet their was this yellowish hue to her outside in that same spot. Amazingly, tails already seem to be on the mend. We have already had our first drop from the new gal/s so we have snagged 10 fry out of the tank. These wew willl grow out to see if some look good and healthy for future breeding. Nice little swimmers! Anyway, Mikey has been having fun with the ladies sso who knows what will drop from here on out. :)

Well I'm a little perplexed.  lol  The drop of fry that I was referring to has one obvious Molly in it.  I will try to get pics.. but I am no photographer... let alone fish photographer.  I did have Mollies in the tank for a short period with my guppies as their filter stopped working and it took me a bit to get another one.  That being said.. the Mollies were females and it had been months since a drop from them.  Not sure if they can hold for a couple months and then drop.. or they had drops and the fry was eaten.  Anyway, My new female guppies are getting really fat and happy.. looking like maybe a week tops.  This doesn't line up.  It is possible this one Molly fry survived in the tank after the transfer of my Mollies back to their own tank.  But it is the same size as the guppy fry.  And I had no female guppies before I bought these new ones.  Guess I'm going to have to just watch this drop grow out.  Kind of strange....   

Mikey, the heart shaped tail guppy (minus the chewed out spot) is loving life with his new tank mates.  Can't wait to see if we can reproduce his tail.  :)

DyArianna said:
I know.. I can't find any info on him either.  lol  Initially I thought his colorings on his body resembled an Endler a bit.  So was wondering if maybe some Endler gene mucked up with the Guppy gene.  Don't know what dad looked like as mum was pregnant when I bought her at the LFS.  She was pretty though... dorsal and tail fins were blueish/purple blotched with black.  Her tail was rather large too.  More oblong shape.  I don't know... beginning to think I just have an odd lot.  His sibling from a drop a month later than him also has a funky tail.  But his looks like it might be an upside down delta/triangle type. 
If the fry end up having a tail like this would you consider sending one my way for your price? I'd love to have one of these gorgeous guppies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back