Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Guest , The February Tank of the Month Contest is starting now!

Click here for details:

Dismiss Notice

Guppy Tail Rotted In Less Than A Day?!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish Emergencies' started by andy36yr19, Jan 21, 2019.

1. andy36yr19

andy36yr19 New Member

My guppy's tail just rotted completely throughout the day. I ordered some seachem kanaplex and it should arrive by the evening of January 22. His tail are just white strands now and I dont know how much longer he can last. If anyone knows why his tail rotted in less than a day please help. All his other tankmates are doing just fine btw

2. andy36yr19

andy36yr19 New Member

Some Pictures... he used to be very blue and now hes a grayish color

Attached Files:

3. Mergatroyd

Mergatroyd New Member

I doubt it is just rot, if it happened that quickly: is another fish shredding it?

4. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Have you tested the tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH?

Ammonia and low pH can do that.

There is no red marks/ lines on the tail so it is unlikely to be a bacterial infection.

You should test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH.

Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the tank has been running for more than 2 months, then clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.

--------------------------
    Kanaplex (Kanamycin) is a strong anti-biotic that was designed for people and should only be used as a last resort to treat known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal fish medications. Improper use or mis-use of anti-biotics can lead to drug resistant bacteria that can kill people, animals, birds and fish.

If you use that anti-biotic without checking the water quality, you will be wasting your money.

Anti-biotics like Kanamycin will wipe out filter bacteria and you should monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels during and after use.

Test the water and do water changes for a few days and see if it helps. If it does then return the Kanaplex and keep doing water changes.

5. Aesthetic-fish

Aesthetic-fish Fish Fanatic

To prevent any further infection, try adding aquarium salt and other medications.