Guppy Tail Is Shredded?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaticHamster

Reaction score
Took my 2 guppies out of the one gallon so I could clean it, put them in the ten gallon for a short while, and I noticed the male's tail was really shredded and much smaller then it was when I got him a few months back. Compared to my other males, his tail is much smaller and even his body is smaller then the others. The female he was with didnt seem to have anything wrong with her tail, she seemed perfectly healthy. I used to keep the two in the ten gallon before I got my smaller aquariums, and his tail was fine when I got him, but after a few weeks it looked like the other fish were nipping at him. A few weeks ago I moved him and his female companion to the one gallon and got two other fancies for the ten gallon. The new guppies' tails are fine, except for a few nicks from the other fish. The guppy is swimming and acting normally, but im just worried about his tail. It was once big and beautiful, now it looks like its disintegrating. Is this just from fish picking on him before, or is he sick? Its really sad to see his pretty spotted tail all torn and shredded at the ends. :(

i think that the culprits either the black skirt tetra, long fin minor tetra, the danio or the australian rainbow

Not the danio, got him after i moved the guppy, not the rainbow, guppys tail was already shredded before i got him.. probably was the tetras seeing as I had them a while before i got the guppy. Its just weird because his tails like... disintegrating. Do their tails grow back at all?

Took my 2 guppies out of the one gallon so I could clean it, put them in the ten gallon for a short while, and I noticed the male's tail was really shredded and much smaller then it was when I got him a few months back. Compared to my other males, his tail is much smaller and even his body is smaller then the others. The female he was with didnt seem to have anything wrong with her tail, she seemed perfectly healthy. I used to keep the two in the ten gallon before I got my smaller aquariums, and his tail was fine when I got him, but after a few weeks it looked like the other fish were nipping at him. A few weeks ago I moved him and his female companion to the one gallon and got two other fancies for the ten gallon. The new guppies' tails are fine, except for a few nicks from the other fish. The guppy is swimming and acting normally, but im just worried about his tail. It was once big and beautiful, now it looks like its disintegrating. Is this just from fish picking on him before, or is he sick? Its really sad to see his pretty spotted tail all torn and shredded at the ends. :(
It's possible that the Black skirt tetra did it. :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back