Guppy Tail Disintegrating

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

90JCR

Reaction score
I bought a new guppy for my tank Sunday, when I opened the bag I noticed it had a huge inflated abdomen and soon began trailing long white poo. I came home from work today and it was just sitting on the bottom if the tank and it's tail had disintegrated!

I have no idea what's happening but all my other fish seem fine. Can anyone shed some light on this?
I don't have any large fish in my tank - just 3 stebai corys and 6 cardinal tetra, as well as one other guppy

I've checked ammonia, nitrate and the levels are all at 0

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 411
How long has your tank been running and what are you using to test the water?

Are those plastic plants or real ones?

Oh, and how big is the tank?

It's 20 gallons - tank has been running for two months now. I'm using API Ammonia testing kit and Tetra test kit to check nitrate
And the plants are plastic

What's the pH and temp?

Guppies like slightly hard, alkaline and warmish water.

80 degrees, and PH looks closest to 7.5 as far as I can tell

I really don't think this guy will make it through the night. He can barely swim anymore. Does anyone have any advice?

I can't believe the rate in which his tail is shedding - it was fine this morning

It does sound like the fish was sick when you bought it
confused.gif

All you can do is make sure your water is clean; do a large water change before bed if you can, and make sure the fish isn't being picked on; the other guppy, or even the cardinals, might have a go at it.

I'm dubious about your zero nitrate reading, as cycled tanks, unless they are very lightly stocked and heavily planted, should show some level of nitrate.

yea many pets stores have stock tanks that might be overstocked or carry disease from fish that are sick thats why its important to quaritine.

Big rock on fish if you don't believe it will make it. Better than letting it die overnight and infecting your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back