Guppy Swimming Upside Down

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

menacer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok i have just got in and now one of my guppies seems to have a bloated belly and is swimming weirdly, i have been feeding flake and flood worm. Is this a problem? Does this sound like Swim Bladder Disease?

Its just on its side now and very still :(:(:(:(:( :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Now its swimming strange again, i think its going to die :(

Sorry to hear about the fish mate but it does sound like its in trouble.

All other fish ok ?

Water parameters Ok ?

Fingers crossed for the fish though buddy.

LP

Yeh check the nitrite and ammonia both 0 did a water chaange 2 days ago so nitrate must be fine. Thanks for the nice reply

Sorry forgot to say all other fish seem ok ;)

A diet of flake and bloodworm isn't all that great IMO; not just on their own anyway. Both have tendency to cause fish to bloat.

You could try getting the guppy into a net hung in the tank so it's in shallower water, that sometimes helps. Feed some lightly cooked, shelled, crushed pea if it's eating.

Try feeding a crisp or granule food and some frozen brine shrimp or daphnia as well in the future.

Hope he gets better.

With all other fish and levels being ok it could just be a natural death ie the fish being unhealthy.

I had the same happen to one of my glowlights last month. The little fella was floating down then swim up to surface then sink again. He never made it but all other was ok.

LP

Sorry fluttermoth i dont quite understand what you mean, green peas? What are the other food thats you are talking about i only know of blood worm and flake. Whats the best diet for fish?

I got him in the net but he just floats on the top in the net. So i let him back out again.

It could be a natural death, yes; it does happen.

I mean boil a few frozen peas for a few minutes (2 or 3) and then drop them in cold water. If you sqeeze them gently, you'll find there's two halves inside a sort of 'skin'. Throw the skin away and chop up the insides really finely. It's a good vegetable for fish. As well as frozen bloodworm, you can get frozen brineshrimp, which are much more nutrious than the bloodworm, though you can still feed that sometimes too. The more different things you can think of the healthier your fish will be.

I'm not sure what else to suggest for your little guppy though :(

Thanks any way mate, off to get the shrimp and brine after work, he was at the top of the water today but upright. Hopefully there is a chance!

Still alive lost some colour though but swimming better!

i took my girls guppies that had that problem and put them in an established 5 gallon tank and put in 1 cup of the salt water i put in my reef tank and within 20 minutes they were right as rain. :) next day i moved them back home and have had no issues since. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back