Guppy Swimming Head Below

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jfproulx

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This my first post to this forum, I bought a small 5 gallon aquarium a few months ago and I wanted more so now I have a bigger 55 gallons. Water parameters are OK, both aquariums are cycled and water change around once a week for about 30%.

In my 5 gallon, I keep only 1 pregnant guppy and a few red cherry shrimps.  Yesterday, my guppy was standing vertically, head below, she was not moving a lot.  I expected to find her dead in the morning.  When I woke up, she was not moving a lot, but was on a normal horizontal position.  When I looked more carefully in the aquarium, I noticed that she gave birth to some fry.  Tonight she seems to stand normally, but not moving a lot.

Do you think that it is possible that she was upside down because she was about to give birth?  She was pregnant for more than 5 weeks, maybe the fry inside caused pressure and the swim bladder symptoms?

Do I have to do anything to help her?  I am not sure that she has finished to give birth by now, I found at least 8 fry in my tank.

Thank you

Try and feed her a pea, this will help her if she has swim bladder.

it could also be the stress on her body from the fry epecially if she was full of fry( or fat). give her some time she is trying to swim down and she floats back up or just swimming on her side thats swim bladder if that occurs dont feed her for the night but make sure the fry have food  good luck

A few minutes ago, I saw that she is not constipated anymore, she just made a very big 'you know what', maybe giving birth helped her.  She now has less weight in her belly, I hope she will be fine.  I will wait a few days for her to relax and if everything is fine I will move her to the 55 gallons tank with my other guppies to avoid that she eats all the fry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back