Guppy Swimming At Very Top Of Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

loz_the_guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My two male guppys spend 98% of their time at the very top of the tank, almost with their mouths poking out of it. Normally id think this was O2 deficiency, but theres a reasonable amount of surface movement and none of the other fish seem bothered. All water parameters are fine, and as I said the other fish arent bothered at all. Interestingly ive got a female guppy in their who doesnt seem too fussed either.

Im loathe to put an air stone in their as I have a planted tank with a nutrafin CO2 difuser, anyone suggest anything else?

water params?

and whats your CO2 like, do you have a drop checker?

why would you be worried about an airstone if you have surface movement?

this has happened to me where my guppys has been swimming at the top of the water

clean out your filter in tank water rinse it through then put it back in for my oxygen to come through..

if that dont work test your water they may likely have ammonia or nitrite posioning and there starved of oxygen if that is the case do a 50 water change right away..if that is not the case your guppys mite be developing a mouth fungus watch them carefully as they swim have they got any pale spots on there face or body loss of colour ? if they have get a fubgus treatment :good:

if all that is not the case then you just have 2 poor guppys there not as hardy as they used to be due to interbredding :unsure:

hope this helps

I have a male guppy that likes to spend time right at the top of the tank and barely move. I must admite its not 98% of the time though. He seems to sit there some of the time like he is resting. He sleeps at the bottom of the tank though, in his favourate corner.

Where do you find you guppies sleep? or is it constantly at the top even when the light goes out?

can you post all your water stats including ph cos you have yeast based co2 if you dont have enough this can seriously affect your ph and it might have dropped really low below 6 or something
do you check your co2 cos it is essential you do when you have a yeast based system running

i would run an airstone at night if you dont disconnect the co2 in the evening this will allow the co2 to balance and burn off excess

usually gasping is a bad sign that there is a problem with the fish or the water the fish is in

I agree we do need to take a look at your water stats to make sure water quality is fine.

Do the fish gills look pale, red and inflamed, or lilac.
Any signs of darting, erratic swimming, flicking and rubbing,.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back