Guppy Ready To Drop Babies?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

boberga

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I've had this guppy for exactly 31 days now and she has the boxed out look and today I noticed that below her u think her birth canal is starting to open up a little bit or something but it's like a little pink dot right now and I was wondering when she's going to drop her babies if it's gonna be this night or within the next few days. This is the first time I'm dealing with breeding so any tips or things will help thanks. The picture quality is low because she's hiding in the top back left side of the tank away from everyone. She's been in the corner away from everyone for the last 3 days but today she's been swimming around the front of the tank since the other guppies stay in that corner now. She's breathing quite quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_20150708_203234_edit.jpg
    IMG_20150708_203234_edit.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20150708_202205_edit.jpg
    IMG_20150708_202205_edit.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 275
from what describe she's ready to drop and it shouldn't be that long. If she's not dropped already in the time it's taken to reply then I suspect she'll be dropping today.

The 'boxy' look is a sure sign, as is isolating herself. You've also mentioned the signs of an opening breeding tube. These things all usually happen in the 24-48 hours before birth. 

I was late to notice her giving birth cause I thought she already gave birth cause she looked so small now but I have her in a guppy breeding box for the night since I noticed 1 little guppy about 1.5 mm long in the tank but by the time I got the breeder box out it was too late to save thst little guppy since I didn't see it again assuming that It was eaten

try not to keep her in the box too long as it's incredibly stressful for her. If you want to breed from her seriously it's always best have a seperate breeding tank set up ready and waiting so you can move her calmly. Make sure that you cycle any new tanks first though. If you plan to do it this way you could have a second internal filter running in you main tank so that you can move the filter with the fish. If you then want to move mum back to the community tank and raise the fry in the seperate tank it's easier. For this purpose I'd recommend getting a sponge filter that runs off an air pump. These kind of filters are best for fry as they have a gentle current rather than a strong current for them to fight against and possibly get sucked into.

As for the fry that's disappeared ... it might surprise you. If you have a planted tank it may have found cover there and if it's sensible will stay there until too large to be eaten

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back