Guppy+guppy=endler?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

93aj11

Reaction score
Hi
a while back i bought a couple of guppys from my local pet shop they interbred and about half a year later i ended up with about ten endlers i have only ever had guppys and only knew they were endlers when i reserched them because i had never seen such lumonouse colours on a guppy but it ended up that they were endlers. im certain they are endlers from their bright coulourings and small body. people have said that endlers are a different species to guppys so how is this possible?
im a tad confused lol
please inform me if im wrong.
cheers

Your original "Guppies" were most likely Guppy/Endler hybrids.

Guppies and Endler's are related closely enough that the offspring are quite capable of reproducing and may look very much like a regular Guppy.

Hi
a while back i bought a couple of guppys from my local pet shop they interbred and about half a year later i ended up with about ten endlers i have only ever had guppys and only knew they were endlers when i reserched them because i had never seen such lumonouse colours on a guppy but it ended up that they were endlers. im certain they are endlers from their bright coulourings and small body. people have said that endlers are a different species to guppys so how is this possible?
im a tad confused lol
please inform me if im wrong.
cheers
Can you post pics?

They are most likely still mainly guppies (though likely ad endler in them).

Look up "wild guppy" on google images :).

Good point, I hadn't thought about possible wild-type Guppies.

What I'm sure u have ended up with is a wild type of guppy.
Wild guppies are short finned like endlers but they are 2 differnt species.

Endler+guppy are fertile.

To answer this properly, you need to understand how Guppies and Endlers have been identified to be different species; the Endler (or Campoma Guppy) has been shown to be a different species, not because it is genetically different but by something called Character Displacement. Indeed they have been shown to be very similar genetically and therefore, if they breed the young are viable.

That said, Alan is right. If guppies breed together, then they will not make an Endler and you will have probably ended up with throwbacks.

The wild guppy is very different to the fancy guppies that you get in the shops and look very alike Endlers. Therefore you will have ended up with fish that look like wild guppies rather than fancy guppies, these are called throwbacks.

By the way, not all hybrids are infertile and many are completely viable.

So, is it not possible to get Endler's throwbacks from a Guppy x Endler cross?

If the guppies have been crossed with an endler and being a hybrid its possible to get fry that does look like the endlers, but would still be hybrids no matter what they look like. And yes these hybrids are just as fertile as the purebred counterparts.

I realize that they would still be hybrids, I just wondered if they could not throw 'Endler-like' fry. Thanks for your reply. :)

Wild-type Guppy. He's lovely.

I actually really like these...I keep them in my indoor turtle pond.

A guppy and endler cross can end up giving birth to a fish that somewhat resembles an endler. It won't be an endler but some of the endler characteristics could come out in the fry. On the other hand, I have had many guppies over the years where the strain was not well established and was not breeding true. Many of their fry looked like wild guppies. The wild guppy throwbacks have many of the same characteristics as an endler but do not usually have the same color intensity as an endler would. I keep natural endlers so I have no guppies in my present tanks but I do know that some very nice fish can be seen in wild type guppies to the point that some people would mistake them for an endler look. Once you become accustomed to the look of endlers, the mistake is not as easy to make but that makes it no less reasonable to make that mistake for a guppy keeper.

Most reactions

trending

Back