Guppy Fry How Many Can I Keep In 22 Litre Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bubba

Reaction score
:good: merry christmas

I have a 22 litre fry tank ( prob too small first time breeder here)

I have been taking the guppy babies out of my 2 foot (55 lt ) guppy tank

I have read how to feed etc

How many can I keep in the 22 lt tank there is about 40 fry in there from a few days old to a month or more

I will have to leave whats left in the 55 lt if there is anymore I didnt know guppies had so many babies

I have another 50 lit approx communtiy tank only a few babies have surived in there

Would the platys be eating my babies? lol im sure i saw one much !

I have decided to keep my guppy tank with just guppies

One more question

I have 15ish guppies in the guppy tank 5 neons and 4 cat fish how many more can I have in there

I have seen some pictures on line with ppl with 100s of guppies in a tank is this possible?

I got buyers for the babies when they are bigger but id love to keep them till they colour as I have some amazing guppies as you can see in the thread above

Thanks

Coz of their size you can put loads of fry in there, but you need to make sure your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are good or the fry will soon die.
1-2 water changes a week should be done in that size tank. and your need to move them on to the main tank as soon as their large though.

ty ty ty
:hyper:

thanks I moved a few today, i am also gonna take some to the pet shop I put another ten in there, theres about 30-40 is that ok?

I only have an ammonia test kitt and that was fine
I am going to get the other kits later

I have been changing the water half of it weekly I will change more

Thanks for your input !!!!!!

One of the babies has an aqua blue fin so it will be interesting to see what colour it comes out

merry christmas :shout:

hey there bubba :D
i do 25% water changes in my fry tank every couple of days, helps with the nitogen cycle balance, and also helps them grow quicker. cant remember why that is now, prob has somethin to do with the water quality.
Ive 10 blond guppy fry, and 6 grey guppy fry at the min, and im really excited bout checkin for their colours lol
but there'd be no prob keepin loads fry in da one tank, just move them to larger tank when gettin bigger. ya'll need to do that anyway because as ur gettin more fry the older and bigger ones will eat them.

oh ya, da platys WILL eat the fry lol
i like wat ya said bout keepin da tank for just guppys, im goin doin that for platys. my platys breedin like mad, and i tryin selective breedin to get certain characteristics. rite now im aimin for a peachy colour with no spots, down to 3 spts at d min from bout 50 lol. Tis all very exciting :D

:shout: :shout: :shout: :shout:

Hi mate hehe
yes just the guppies in the tank in my bedroom

I have my good guppies in with the platties so dont get many babies only had about ten out of that tank and prob 50 out of the other one

sooooooo your right must be the platies eating them lol

oooooooo how can you tell what you fry are IE the type you said

I have some that are like half black, and some normal ones and some white looking ones

Checked for pink eyes nothing yet :p

Yes very exciting and ta I will make sure i do more water changes hehe

i've got 40-50 guppy fry in my 30 ltr tank and they are doing well with 10 litres change every other day - its full of plants and top covered in floating plants - i feed them only once a day and they are growing very well

good luck with the fry :)

Your guppy tank is full Bubba. 15 guppies with 4 neons and 4 catfish is quite a heavy stocking when you consider that at any time there are bound to be some fry in with them. The fry tank is quite small but if you can rotate the fry out at a young age, you could probably keep 40 or 50 in it. The key is that it will be hard to dispose of the fry while they are still too small to be an overload in the tank.

pip thanks

and old man thought it was chocka full
I want a bigger one thats up right to save space I cant afford anything else at the moment so it will have to wait

Oh no what am i gonna do with the guppies that are born I want to keep

My community tank has about 40 guppies in it

ooooo i aint get another tank unless its bigger i dont have the space or money

Guess I will have to sell all my babies waaaa what a shame as I have red tux and flamignos and snake skins

hehe

oldman was right with the adult fish in your 55ltr
you are near to or if not fully stocked in that one
the fry one works ok with many fish as they are so small

if i was you i wouldn't bother saving anymore fry i would let nature take its course and do survival of the fittest for a while until your babies have grwon large enough to sell - many shops wont take them until they are about 6 months old
so when they have gone you can then start saving your fry again

take care

Sarah xx

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back