April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi!
This morning my guppy from another thread, Equinox, had some fry. I count 8.
I would like to know if I could feed them crushed tropical fish flakes, the same as I give the adults.
Thanks!

You can but I highly recommend First Bites by Hikari.

Wow, so quick!
Thank you! I will try to get out to the store as soon as I can.

You can also make a baby brine shrimp hatchery with an old water bottle, airline tubing, and a desk lamp. If I could do it, anyone can. Google one to see how easy it is. Then just add some baby brine shrimp eggs (I recommend San Francisco Bay brand). You can order online. They hatch in 24 hours. My fry love them and really grow large on them. Good luck!

Thanks! That sounds great!

Another question if you don’t mind:

I will most likely not be keeping these fry long term, planning on give-away. Is it ok to take the fry and have them live in a large critter carrier (like a plastic tank) until they are given away?
I know it is not the best option but I do not have a spare tank and the tank they are in now doesn’t have very good cover.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 3DC52F1C-839F-459F-B7BE-540793D8993C.jpeg
    3DC52F1C-839F-459F-B7BE-540793D8993C.jpeg
    736.6 KB · Views: 159
Ah, never mind.
I’ve decided to keep them in their current tank to see how it goes. My only concern with that is if Polaris were to eat them all and be over fed and something happen because of it.
I tried separating the fry just now and it was stressing everyone out so I’m leaving them in there for now, so nevermind about the previous post.

You can buy breeding nets (see following link) from pet shops and they hang inside the main tank. These have a plastic frame and are covered in a fine mesh netting that allows water to move through but stops the baby fish getting out. You use a small plastic container to scoop the baby fish and some water up and put them in the net and they can stay in their until they are big enough to be mixed with the adults.
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/152985388737?chn=ps

Baby fish need to be fed very fine food like crushed up flake or specific baby fish foods at least 3 times per day (preferably more). Newly hatched brineshrimp (as mentioned by Deanasue) is one of the best foods for baby livebearers and are easily hatched, (see following link). Microworms are also useful and easy to culture.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/#post-3790221

Thank you, I will look into that for the future.
I’ve left the fry in the main tank and they seem to be doing ok, Polaris the Betta seems to have eaten some from this morning and is pretty large.
Thank you for your responses!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back