Guppies Red Gills

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nikoae

Reaction score
I have a couple guppies that have red gills.. My amonia level as well as Nitrite and Nitrate are 0. Any other reasons why my guppies have severe red gills? I also do constant water changes

Is your ammonia test kit expired? Are you using test strips? These can give false readings. I would invest yourself into a good quality test kit if you dont already have one. Red gills is almost always caused by ammonia. How much water do you change and how do you do it. Do you take the fish out when cleaning (never do this). Do you clean the gravel? Are you using any medications? How long did you wait to stock the tank? When did you get the fish and the tank? How much are you feeding?

No.. I just bought the kit from api.. Its not the strips..... Ans i spent 35$ on that test.... I do regular changes from 25-50%.. I only feed twice a day small portions... I wanted a month.... Listen i need answers not more questions.. Lol seems like when somebody asks a question, they get more questions asked that answers..

But thank you for your comments.. I will keep on doing my research as to why fish get red gills besides amonia poisoning... Perhaps I need i need to treat my sick fish with a bath of salt.. I heard its good n improving gill function

Can you please post a photo of the fish.

Are you using the test kit correctly?

What type of water conditioner do you use?

I do regular changes from 25-50%..
Once a week, once a month?

Lol seems like when somebody asks a question, they get more questions asked that answers..
Because we need more information.

Are your guppies swimming with their heads touching the surface? If they exhibit this behaviour it certainly suggests that they are not getting enough oxygen which can be caused by a variety of reasons including ammonia poisoning

No.. I just bought the kit from api.. Its not the strips..... Ans i spent 35$ on that test.... I do regular changes from 25-50%.. I only feed twice a day small portions... I wanted a month.... Listen i need answers not more questions.. Lol seems like when somebody asks a question, they get more questions asked that answers..

Don't be offended by us asking questions. We are trying to get to the root of your problem. But to do that we need more information to help us, alright? Please don't just go throwing things in the tank. It can stress the fish out even more.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back