Guppies not swimming right?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Aaron Muth

Reaction score
Woke up today and found two of my guppies not swimming right (white one is not swimming at all). I really donā€™t know what to do and I donā€™t know what is going on with them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 185
What are your water parameters?

Generally, you need harder water for guppies. If your water is soft, that's likely the cause of the problem.

Another good question.

What are your water parameters?

Generally, you need harder water for guppies. If your water is soft, that's likely the cause of the problem.
Ph is 7.6, ammonia 20ppm, nitrates and nitrites are 0ppm and the water temperature is 76.

It sounds like your tank is not cycled. Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? I would do a 70% water change for now and add Seachem Prime to detoxify ammonia. You need to check your parameters daily until it is cycled. You will also need to do daily water changes and continue using Prime. Sounds like fish is suffering the effects of an uncycled tank. Read up on ā€œNitrogen cycleā€ and ā€œhow to do a fish in cycle.ā€ Ask questions if you need help. Good luck!

It takes some time for fish to feel the effects of ammonia and nitrite/nitrate poisoning. Not sure why the tank hasnā€™t cycled in 4 months but if you did not cycle it originally, I would bank that the fish are suffering the results. Try as instructed above and hopefully the fish can improve with the steps explained. In an uncycled tank, they will eventually die. Here to help. Good luck! Note: I would suggest you get some Safe Start Plus. It is good bacteria in a bottle and will help jump start your tank and hopefully get it cycled faster. You canā€™t use Prime for 48 hours though after using the Safe Start. I would do the water change with dechlorinated water, get the Safe Start Plus, and begin using the Prime 48 hours later. Again, keep us posted.

The tank has been set up for roughly 4 months and I have had both these fish with the same water perameters for over 5 months.

Are you sure that its the ammonia that's 20 ppm, and not the nitrate? If it has been set up for 4 months, then the ammonia should not be that high...

BUT... if that is the case, then you are still in a cycle and that ammonia is poisoning the fish, that's the problem. Ammonia poisoning takes a while to take its toll, but it always does.

Are you sure that its the ammonia that's 20 ppm, and not the nitrate? If it has been set up for 4 months, then the ammonia should not be that high...

BUT... if that is the case, then you are still in a cycle and that ammonia is poisoning the fish, that's the problem. Ammonia poisoning takes a while to take its toll, but it always does.
Iā€™ll check again

With the test I just did the nitrate is 0 ppm, ph is 7.6, ammonia is 0 ppm, and nitrate is 10 ppm. Any thoughts?

That sounds much better and makes more sense. I would still do a large water change just in case something has gotten in the water. How many other fish and what size tank?

That sounds much better and makes more sense. I would still do a large water change just in case something has gotten in the water. How many other fish and what size tank?
Itā€™s a 37 gallon tank, with 4 Cory catfish, 1 dwarf gourami, 2 healthy guppies and the two sick guppies, 5 neons, and a platy, plus one mystery snail.

How hard is your water? You have both soft water fish and hard water fish, and the hard water fish (guppies) are the ones which are suffering.

Look on your water provider's website, see if they give your hardness. You need a number and the unit not some vague words. We need the unit as there are half a dozen different units they could use. If the website does not give your hardness, take a sample of tap water to an LFS and ask them to test for GH. Again, make sure they give you the number and unit.
If your water is soft, that will stress the guppies making them more likely to pick up infections.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back