Guess I’m back?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TotallyTropical

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello!
I’ve been on TFF for about 6 years, but I accidentally took a 2 year break from the site because my tanks were actually doing well! :p
I had been taking care of my 10 and 75 gallon tanks up until now, but I just shut down my 75 gallon (planning to sell it too), converted my 10 gallon into a betta tank, and bought a new 5.5 gallon for another betta, since I love them so much.
Now that things have calmed down in the hobby, I can really look back and appreciate all of the help I’ve received on here. I have grown and learned so much, considering I started the hobby (and joined this site) when I was only 12, and now the support and information I’ve gotten over the years has helped me realize my interest in fish and even pointed me into the direction of my future career in aquaculture!
I guess all I really want to say is I’m back if there’s any issues with my tanks (or if I can help others), and thank you all so much for helping me with fishkeeping! I’m so lucky to have found this site ^_^

Welcome back :)

Which field of aquaculture do you want to work in, food fish or aquarium fish?

Welcome back :)

Which field of aquaculture do you want to work in, food fish or aquarium fish?

I’d love to raise aquarium fish! The University of Florida would be my dream school too, considering how many greenhouses full of tropical fish they have on site. It’s crazy what they do down there! Too bad the estimated fees are around $40,000 for out of state undergrads :crazy:
Considering where I live and where I’ll be going though (up in Canada), I’ll probably start with restocking game fish such as trout and salmon up around Nova Scotia. Either that, or I’ll work on a farm raising tilapia, shrimp, and whatever other fish and seafood are in demand for restaurants :lol:

40grand to study fish keeping, holy moly.

Get a few tanks and start breeding fish. You will learn most of what they teach you for free just by asking questions here. :)

If you want to learn a bit about culturing live fish food for baby fish you can check out the following link.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

In Canada they will probably use hormone spawning techniques to breed the fish and that is worth learning. Once you know that, all you need to learn is basic fish husbandry (water changes, gravel cleaning, filters) and diseases. Most of which you probably already know. :)

If that’s the case, I guess everything will be a breeze at university!
I was thinking of breeding bettas, but considering I’m moving soon and I have limited space for tanks, I think that’ll have to wait for a bit. I’ve bred guppies and platies in the past, but livebearers are pretty easy to breed in my opinion. Give them the space, the hiding spots, and the proper food and they’ll just go for it lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back