Growth On Wild Molly's Mouth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PaBucsFan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Wow I haven't been on the freshwater side for a while. I have a single wild molly with an odd growth on the tip of mouth (top side not jaw). It looks similar in color to her body but it definitely does not look like it should be there. Water parameters pH 7.2, ammonia 0.0ppm, nitrite 0.0ppm, and nitrate 40ppm. I have not treat the tank with anything and I don't have a QT. This is the first problem I have had with my freshwater tank for a few months. Any suggestions? She is a quick one so getting a still photo has been difficult.

Does it look like a greyish white spot with a tint of red on the inside of the spot, or the outside of the spot.
If so it's a columnaris spot.

Yes. It columnaris.
Columnaris spots are hard to get rid of sometimes.

Whats your location.

Isolate the fish and use maracyn one and two.
Or maracyn plus.

I live in Pennsylvania. I will look into getting some maracyn from my LFS tomorrow (sucks best LFS around by far and they only open Fri-Sat-Sun.

Good Luck.

Keep an eye on water stats if you don't have a hospital tank. As maracyn knocks water stats.

hmm well I have a spare 10gallon that I am going to use for my sump tank for my saltwater tank. I could use that while I am still gathering the funds for that project. Thank you for the help.

That's fine.
Good Luck.

If you are isolating the sick fish you can also use antibiotics like tetracycline.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back