Grey Fungus Mold On New Sterbai Corydoras

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

smudge47

Reaction score
Hi, got 4 Sterbai Corydoras in the 20% off sale at pets at home.  One died within 2 days, 2 of the others have grey mold or fungus.  Put the remaining 3 into a quarantine tank.  Have tried API fungus cure and Warerlife Myxazin.  About 10 days on, 2 still moldy, the third seems immune and has no syptoms.  When in the main tank an Ember Tetra caught the fungus n died.  No loses since removal of the Corys.  I have had no aquarium issues of any sort in the last 4 years.   Does anyone have any ideas, on how to treat these.  Cheers Guava

I am a big believer in Pimafix and Melafix. I also like to use aquarium salt and increase the temperature, but I know that cories are sensitive to salt.

Thanks alot for your input its appreciated.  I have not tried Pimafix or Melafix ever but having no joy with the more chemical approach i will look into salt.   There is no improvent still (11 days in).  

I am trying two new Sterbai Corys the main tank, to give company to the sole Sterbai and to see if the condition is brought on by the environment rather than brought it with the fish.  

I will update as things and or knowledge progress.

Pimafix and Melafix are natural remedies. That's why I use them when needed.

If you use aquarium salt, make sure you use a half dose.

Good luck!

Does your recent losses not teach you anything?

You returned sick fish back to the main tank and then you lost an Ember Tetra. You have now added more new fish straight to your main tank, within a short space of time of losing other fish to disease.

You have a spare tank, use it to quarantine new fish for several weeks! Not only to check for signs of illness (so you can "protect" your established main tank fish), but also to feed newcomers who more often than not will be thin and weak from their transport through the fishkeeping supply chain and then ended up in a fish store which more often than not underfeed fish.

I used to use Myxazin a lot as my broad spectrum anti-bacterial medication, but I'm increasingly drawn to using Esha 2000 when needed, partly because it can be combined safely with Esha Exit (Ich treatment) whereas Myxazin and Protozin have some compound overlap that means you should delay swapping from one to the other.

Yup we live, n hopefully learn a little. 

Am now keeping a small hospitable aquarium going on a regular basis for quarantine & inspection etc.  I feel very close inspection is something not flapped about enough with new fish.

Thankfully not having had any illness issues before (over 5 yrs) have probaby been a tad over optimistic with newcomers. 

The 2 Sterbai Corys never responded, to either API Fungus Cure or Waterlife Myxazin.   I took them back to Pets at Home and they duly appologised for the advancing thin grey mould and exchanged them, the newcomers are fine.  I am fairly certain the fungus was born on the initial batch and not to do with the aquarium environment.  Noting also that one Sterbai Cory. appeared immune to it.

This process was a guessing game.  We tried cures based on a similar senarios that had a positive outcomes.  However without an actual lab based biopsy and deeper insight, we are just fumblimg in the dark.

Thanks to all for their input    

I lost 10 of 11 trillineatus to that fungus. I even went so far as to go to my veterinarian who gave me several doses of antifungal medication to put in the tank. Nasty stuff!

Thats gutting.  It is so difficult to find the right cure.  There just ain't many fish doctors out there.  Just  hungry bellied bigger fish and tiny little bio degraders!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back