Greetings From Wesley The Veil Tail Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

WesleytheBetta

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I am new to the site and joined with a question about my two small tanks that I have since resolved!  I have a 1G snail/shrimp tank and a 5G betta/shrimp tank.  Both are Aqueons and have the filters the setup came with.  I have had Wesley the veil tail betta for 14 months and am new to the aquarium life.  I love it!  I'm continuously learning and my interest is growing.

Here is the 5G and Wesley: http://imgur.com/pLKM2W8

I am learning about freshwater aquarium plants and would eventually like a much larger, fully planted tank with an organic substrate.  Any feedback appreciated!  

Hi nice Betta.

an organic substrate.
If you mean something like CaribSea Eco-Complete My advice is don't waste your money, I had it once and got rid of it because tank maintenance is a nightmare you cant vacuum it and it had pest snails in it.

NickAu said:
Hi nice Betta.

an organic substrate.
If you mean something like CaribSea Eco-Complete My advice is don't waste your money, I had it once and got rid of it because tank maintenance is a nightmare you cant vacuum it and it had pest snails in it.
I agree. I have it in my 10 gallon shrimp tank and was actually thinking of taking it out, (Opinions Nick?)

Anyway. Seachem flourite is nice, or just take a small handful of organic dirt, throw that on the bottom and put some sand or gravel on top. 

Thank you.  Good to know about the substrate.  I was wondering about the vacuuming and maintenance.  So far I've only had a couple pesty snails that tagged along on an anacharis bag from Pet Supermarket (highly advise to NEVER make a purchase from their live tanks!).  I've read going without substrate is safe and healthy for betta as well but aesthetically I prefer something to anchor the plants.  Would you recommend something else or stick with gravel? 

cooledwhip said:

Hi nice Betta.

an organic substrate.
I agree. I have it in my 10 gallon shrimp tank and was actually thinking of taking it out, (Opinions Nick?)

Anyway. Seachem flourite is nice, or just take a small handful of organic dirt, throw that on the bottom and put some sand or gravel on top. 

Do you vacuum the sand like gravel?  

Does a handful of dirt provide benefits to the rooted plants?

I have it in my 10 gallon shrimp tank and was actually thinking of taking it out, (Opinions Nick?)
I took it out of my tank and replaced it with plain old pea gravel.

25pu692.jpg

NickAu said:

I have it in my 10 gallon shrimp tank and was actually thinking of taking it out, (Opinions Nick?)
I took it out of my tank and replaced it with plain old pea gravel.

25pu692.jpg

Wow great setup.  I really like the natural look of the pea gravel and easy to clean. 
good.gif

Clean?

All I do is change 50% of the water once a week, I do not vacuum or use ferts, The gravel is cleaned by snails and shrimp.

I have 1 Betta in there, 17 plus Kuhli Loaches, 2 Mystery snails, Well over 100 Red Cherry shrimp, and god knows how many Malaysian Trumpet snails.

That is very low maintenance.  Over time I hope to get my cycle there, too.  

How big is your tank?  I would love for Wesley to be a part of a massive community tank but with his behavior today I'll keep it at shrimp alone.  Are the MTS the pest snails?

or just take a small handful of organic dirt, throw that on the bottom and put some sand or gravel on top.
If you are going to try that have a look at the Walstad method, It will give you an idea of what sort of dirt to use how much gravel or sand you need over it ETC.
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad_method

How big is your tank?
18 US gallons.

Are the MTS the pest snails?
Not in my book, I consider them to be vital if you want a healthy planted tank. But yes they can get out of hand.

PS

I now have 2 assassin snails in there also they trim down the MTS numbers LOL.

I can't really change substrate now as I have a couple hundred baby red cherry shrimp and more berried females... :/

My seachem flourite substrate requires no maintenance at all as well. No vacuuming. When you have gravel it kinda absorbs and traps the poop and stuff and uses it as fertilizer for the plants. If you have lots of plants (which benefits your betta) then it will also clean water and look nice.

WesleytheBetta said:
I am learning about freshwater aquarium plants and would eventually like a much larger, fully planted tank with an organic substrate.  Any feedback appreciated!
Welcome to the site.

If low maintenance is your goal in the planted tank, you might want to look into the Walstad method.

I agree with Nick that the specialty aquarium substrates aren't worth the extra cost. Growing in something simple like sand (even the cheap play sand, if well rinsed first) works well for plants. Certain plants require root fertilizer tabs (I make my own to keep costs down), but many plants will draw sufficient nutrients from the water column. And if you get the lights right, and choose the right plants, no added ferts are necessary, the fish waste feeds the plants.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back