Green Tiger Barbs Vs Standard Tiger Barbs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

drewmac

Reaction score
So I have three standard Tiger Barbs in my 20 gallon. I want to increase their number to five as I know they do better in groups of five or six. One of my three is being bullied and I figure if I add two more the agression should even out (at least this is what I have read). Now, because my tank is a 20 gallon, I want to maximize the diversity of species in my tank without over-stocking. So my question:
If I add green tiger barbs will the other three view them as their own species? This way I have brought them up to a total of 5 while adding something "different" to my tank.

Thanks!

They are the same species, just different colour variation, so yes the others would be fine with them, however, I persoanlly dont think a 20g tank is large enough for TB's, as they active fish and because they are aggressive to each other in establishing who is boss, the 'bullied' fish dont have enough space to escape.

What other fish do you have in the tank?

They are the same species, just different colour variation, so yes the others would be fine with them, however, I persoanlly dont think a 20g tank is large enough for TB's, as they active fish and because they are aggressive to each other in establishing who is boss, the 'bullied' fish dont have enough space to escape.

What other fish do you have in the tank?

It says in i the signature...
Im pretty sure i just answered this for you on a different post, but they are the same as Minx pointed out. I think that 20 gallons is enough for 5 or 6 according to your stocking in your sig...once the new fish are added, the main bully will even out his aggression and the bullied will have an easier time, once they establish dominance they should be happier

Was only asking as 1. didnt see the signature!, 2. the sig isnt always correct and updated.

However, I shall still stick with my original statement, that a 20g tank isnt large enough, Im sure others will be fine with it, heck they only reach 3" right, Im just going on experience of my 10 (yes double the amount I know) who needed the space of a 4ft 55g and frankly could have used more in their tussles and 'Im the leader' games. Just my opinion, thats all.

i had 3 tb in my downstairs tank along with guppys n neons :blink: noticed they had started nipping at the fins of everyting bar the pleco so i got another 2, once i had a group of five i noticed one of them was gettin bigger than the rest, about a month later it had grown to about twice the size of the rest of them and ive had no more casualties with my other fish since

we all have our own experiences, with mine as long as they were in a group they were ok...

And sorry Minx didnt mean to offend :)

Most reactions

trending

Back