Green Tiger Barb Illness?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishyfish890

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently I have introduced a group of Green Tiger Barbs (x6) in my tank. For exact details, I have left the tank for 2 weeks before adding them. 1 has died due to breathing issues and a broken fin. However after having the remaining 5 fish in the tank for a week, 1 of them has developed an eye infection (I think). I have researched it and I think it is 'pop eye'. Could anyone elaborate this condition for me; What the condition is? How it might have occured? and how or if I can treat it?

Many thanks,
Fishyfish890

Was the tank cycled (by adding a source of ammonia) before the fish were added, or had it just been left running?

Have you tested the water at all and, if so, what sort of test did you use and what were the results?

Pop eye can be caused by poor water conditions, bacterial infection or eye trauma.  If you can post your water conditions ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, temperature, ph etc we can point you in the right direction :)

Ok, thanks for the responses, the water tests I use are called: King British 6 in 1 water test strips aquariums and ponds. The current levels of my tank are:

Ph - 7.6

Temp - 25 degrees

Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0

Ammonia - 0

Carbon hardness - 270
General hardness - 500

These are my tank levels (above), the fish with the 'pop eye' I think will die today, so I have a question. Will the infection spread? If so can I stop it or treat it?

Please reply as soon as possibe

Many thanks,
Fishyfish890

I also wanted to add, that no I did not use a source of ammonia when cycling the tank. As soon as I poured the water in I added tapsafe and left for 2 weeks before adding the green tiger barbs (x6).

regards,
Fishyfish890

Right this is where your problem lies, your tank is not cycled. You need to add ammonia to a new tank to "get the filter ready" before you add fish. Basically bacteria needs to grow in your filter which will change ammonia to nitrite, nitrite to nitrate (simplified :) ).

This is why you are experiencing problems, although your readings on the test strips are showing 0 everything you should have a nitrate reading (unless you have 0 nitrate tap water or heavily planted tank etc).

You are going to need to do daily waterchanges to save your fish and do a fish in cycle, there is some information here to help you.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/

You have a choice of continuing with a fish in cycle or return your fish to the shop and start again by adding ammonia, or see if you can get some mature media from someone which will help a little to kick start your filter.

Hope this helps :)

Ok thanks for your suggestions everyone. I have one last question; How should I cycle a tank? In my previous tank all my fish died because of a bacteria bloom and that was because there was not any feces for the bacteria. That is why I have not added anything other than the tapsafe. Also If I leave the Green tiger barbs in the tank, will they catch the same illness or a different kind of illness?

many thanks,
fishyfish890

The link I gave you explains how to cycle your tank with the fish in it. However you are exposing them to poisons which may result in some or all of them dying. If you follow the instructions in the link of doing daily testing and water changes your tank will cycle.

Hope this helps

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back