The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elipilgrim

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
     Hey there everyone, I am fairly new to having a tank and only getting the initial cycling process near the end now.. It was a fish-in cycle, with a couple losses on the way but not many.
     I have a 29 gallon tank with 3 plants in it at the moment. Here's a picture:
tankpic.jpg
     Inside are 8 rummy-nose tetras, 4 green tiger barb, 3 mollys(including a blowfish molly), 2 bala sharks, 2 platys, a small angel, a dwarf gourami and 2 catfish algae eaters.
     I know that this is possibly too many fish for a 29g tank. Like I said, I am new to having a tank, I overstocked it too fast without proper knowledge, I know, I know.. I am the bad guy. But, they are all still very young and not large by any means, and as they get larger I will figure it out or have another tank by then, perhaps.
smile.png

Anyway, back to the tiger barbs..

So.. When I first started the tank and bought the first green tiger barbs, I bought 3.. One of them passed after the first or second night, so then I got 5 more (after learning that they hate to be alone and they like to be in groups). Now there were 7 of them and they all seemed happy.. Oddly, the runt of the group got sick and passed. Then once that one was gone, the next smallest one seemed to die not long after (They both may be possibly due to the cycle). Regardless, as of approx. 2 weeks ago, I've had the same 5 remaining.
     They always seemed to be little instigators - picking at others here and there, but nothing too harsh. Particularly, they've been going after my black, timid blowfish molly to the point where he hides under the largest ornament in the shadows on the bottom. And he is only lately starting to fight back when they go near him down there.
     It has gotten to the point with the barbs that they have even started to pick on one another. Yesterday, 3 of them were attacking 2 others.. I actually had to take one out this morning that was stuck to the filter because he passed over night. The other one that they were attacking is in a little bit of rough shape but he's still alive.
     Now I only have 4 left and I'm really not sure why they keep dying and/or fighting(especially each other). None of the other fish have been passing lately or even been aggressive as far as I know.. Just the barbs. Are they just not a good choice for a community tank?

** During the fish-in cycle process, I've been using Prime and Stress Zyme to help keep the cycle moving and keep the fish from dying because of it **

Well I've only been able to keep barbs in a larger heavily planted tank like a 55 gal smaller then that and they seem to not get along with anything if it was me I'd take them back to your LFS and get something else or maybe not get anything else as most of what you got will need the space soon :)

Tiger barbs are prolific fin nippers. They are probably nipping each other because of the size of the tank and the water quality and the number of other fish in there. I think I'd be close to death with all that stress.

Your angel will grow quite rapidly and that tank is incredibly small. What's more the barbs will feast on it's fins and it will likely die of stress as well. The barbs are also diminishing, and as you say, they like to be in groups. They'll get more aggressive the smaller the group gets.

Sorry, but you need to sort this out PDQ. It's not going to improve the way things stand.

Do you know anyone who can take some fish off you, like tomorrow?

Thanks guys! I appreciate your responses very much.

RRaquariums said:
Well I've only been able to keep barbs in a larger heavily planted tank like a 55 gal smaller then that and they seem to not get along with anything if it was me I'd take them back to your LFS and get something else or maybe not get anything else as most of what you got will need the space soon 
smile.png
     I am definitely going to trade the remaining 4 barbs in, probably tonight. I just don't feel comfortable having them in there knowing they aren't happy and the fact that everyone else is affected by it too.

rms said:
Tiger barbs are prolific fin nippers. They are probably nipping each other because of the size of the tank and the water quality and the number of other fish in there. I think I'd be close to death with all that stress.

Your angel will grow quite rapidly and that tank is incredibly small. What's more the barbs will feast on it's fins and it will likely die of stress as well. The barbs are also diminishing, and as you say, they like to be in groups. They'll get more aggressive the smaller the group gets.
     I definitely do not want them attacking my angelfish.. He's my favorite! So far I don't think they've bothered him yet but like you said, as he grows it could get worse.

Thanks again!
- Eli

Eli, please do not trade them. I'm sorry you've had so many knocks from people here, but you are already badly over stocked. It's great that you've decided to get rid of the tiger barbs, but replacing them will not help your other fish. Am sure you're aware that lots of your fish are going to get too big, and that's just them alone. Your catfish will be pooping a lot btw, which isn't great for a fish-in cycle. Replacing the barbs will just continue the ammonia overload and continue to stress your fish out. Is it possible to ask your LFS for a credit note? They might be prepared to take some of the others as well. The sharks will outgrow quickly too. You need a massive tank for them so might be a good idea to trade them for credit as well, if the LFS agree. Maybe the catfish too...

I love angelfish too btw. 

I just realised I read 29g as 29l.... lol!!!

Maybe not badly over stocked after all, but yeah, ditch the barbs!!! 

As has been said the tiger barbs are not very community-friendly. Most keep them in a tank by themselves. Glad to know you're going to return them hopefully, but as rms said, don't get other fish to replace them with.

Can you get a picture of the 2 catfish so someone can ID them for you and see if they're suitable?

While you're returning the tigers, I'd return the bala sharks. They get large, are schooling (so groups of 6+) and are extremely active.
An 8ft tank is a common recommendation I see, some say even that isn't long enough and that you'd want a 12ft tank.

Do you have a liquid test kit? What are your water parameters?

What is a blowfish molly?

the_lock_man said:
I think he means a balloon molly, but I was wondering myself >.<

Ninjouzata said:
Can you get a picture of the 2 catfish so someone can ID them for you and see if they're suitable?

While you're returning the tigers, I'd return the bala sharks. They get large, are schooling (so groups of 6+) and are extremely active.

Do you have a liquid test kit? What are your water parameters?
     Here's a couple pics of the catfish, they are both the same:
catfish.jpgcatfish2.jpg

To tell you the truth, my work schedule and the LFS schedules were a little opposite and before I even had the opportunity to return the barbs, another was already dead by the next morning, and 2 others were in rough shape so I took them out and the last one lasted another 2 days and passed as well.. So, all of the barbs are gone now and all the other fish seem more active and relaxed!
     I do still have the bala sharks. I totally understand what you're saying (recalling my first post, in which I explain that I plan to get a larger tank).. But right now they are no more than 1 1/2 & 2 inches each, so they have a ways to go before they're actually quite large. I will get a larger tank or return them when necessary.. Although, I did not realize that they were also schooling fish.. I got the second as a companion for the first because he was acting like one would if you were lonely, but since having both of them they are pretty calm and they hang out all the time..
     I do not have my water parameters, since fish stores are so close, I just take a sample whenever I want a test done and have it done there.. But I am definitely going to look into getting my own equipment. Another beginner bad move, I guess.
the_lock_man said:
     I think it was PetSmart that told me it was called a Blowfish Molly, but they may have said Balloon.. I can't remember, I probably messed it up myself. I apologize. But for clarification purposes, here's a picture of the little guy I'm talking about:
balloonmolly.jpg

Those make me think of chinese algae eaters but I'm not 100% sure, hopefully someone else can say. Normally I'd use pics off of seriouslyfish but it's not up ATM.
I -think- they outgrow this tank but again, not sure. You likely should re-home them anyways as when they get older they start eating less algae & become more aggressive, going after other fishes slime coat.

So you're prepared to get an 8ft long tank for the bala sharks? :)

Ninjouzata said:
Those make me think of chinese algae eaters but I'm not 100% sure, hopefully someone else can say. Normally I'd use pics off of seriouslyfish but it's not up ATM.
I -think- they outgrow this tank but again, not sure. You likely should re-home them anyways as when they get older they start eating less algae & become more aggressive, going after other fishes slime coat.

So you're prepared to get an 8ft long tank for the bala sharks?
smile.png
     After asking people and doing some research I did come to a 90% sure conclusion that they are Albino Chinese algae eaters.. They don't have whiskers like a catfish.. Semi-aggressive, up to 10" and a minimal tank size of 30 gallons. Therefore, they would like a larger tank eventually. I read somewhere else that they tend to go after the slime coat of some fish too - not liking the sound of that..

I know the requirements for the sharks now, thanks. I will take good care of them and relocate them when it's time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back