Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Green Terror

Discussion in 'Cichlids - Central and South American' started by scrappy, Apr 21, 2006.

1. scrappy

scrappy Member

Common name - Green Terror

Scientific name - Aequidens rivulatus

Family - Cichlidae

Origin - South America ;Ecuador, Peru

Max size - 8" approx

Care - The Green Terror is a robust & lively cichlid, avoid live plants as these are often uprooted due to the fish having a habit of digging. The Green Terror also has a very aggressive nature and although when juvenile they seem very peaceful and sometimes even scared of other fish, this soon turns around once the Terror discovers his/her presence can be intimidating to other fish.

Feeding - Green Terrors are not too picky about their food readily accepting most flake, frozen & pellet formulas, however they do relish the addition of live foods.

Sexing - Difficult to sex when young and can be often mistaken for Blue Acaras, as they mature the Male produces bright colouration especially on the tail fin with blue/purple flecks surrounded by yellow/orange tips and has a mettalic green body colour. The male will grow much larger than the female and form a sort of hump on the front of his head. The female is far more understated in colouration.

Breeding - Open spawners and not really fussy regarding water parameters. Spawnings can vary 100-400 eggs. As like most cichlids they are relativley good parents with the female taking the major role of caring for the young.

[​IMG]

2. kubora666

kubora666 Member

just thought id contribute some pictures of my male green terror,
    hes very aggressive, but reall colourful :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. OscarWilde

OscarWilde Member

[​IMG]

Young Green Terror & Oscar.

4. bolty

bolty Member

Verry nice "GOLD SAUM's"

5. MOW4T

MOW4T Member

he looks HUGE, ive had mine for a couple of years but due to cash flow problems he was in a small tank and hence i think i have stunted his growth, i am also prosuming it is a he, maybe some1 could enlighten?

pics in sig!

• Like Like x 1
  6. GreenEyedTerror

This is my green terror when i first got him, he was soo rittle tiny back then

[​IMG]

7. meguro

meguro Member

This group is currently under re-description with the genus no longer being aequidens, but changed to andinoacara. Fish currently described are rivulatus (I think) and stalsbergi. With a third fish proposed as aequinoctalis.