Green Terror And Electric Blue Jack Dempsey?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

thelaw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
in a 75 gallon tank could a green terror and a electric blue jack Dempsey live in it together?

It is posable but when you get into bigger new world cichlids it is much easer to have them in a species only tank but if you do want to try putting different ones together just make sure they have lots of hiding places and things to break up line of site either way you go good luck :)

RRaquariums said:
It is posable but when you get into bigger new world cichlids it is much easer to have them in a species only tank but if you do want to try putting different ones together just make sure they have lots of hiding places and things to break up line of site either way you go good luck
smile.png
ok could you give me a more direct answer as in like is it a 50% chance of working or a 20% chance of working out?  

Honestly I can't there are so many different things that may make it work or make it fail if you do want to try it like I said make lots of good hiding spots and when you first put them in watch them closely for a week if you see lots of aggression you will have to move one of them out sorry I can't be more sure of how it will turn out :/

RRaquariums said:
Honestly I can't there are so many different things that may make it work or make it fail if you do want to try it like I said make lots of good hiding spots and when you first put them in watch them closely for a week if you see lots of aggression you will have to move one of them out sorry I can't be more sure of how it will turn out
confused.gif
ok cool 
thanks.gif
 for the help

RRAquariums is right in a way that cichlids are unpredictable but often you can get a mix to work together. Green Terrors are really hard to get to work in a tank but JDs are a reasonably good companion that could work. In a 75g 3 to 4 individuals could grow up together and live well I think. Maybe something like a JD, Salvini, GT, Convict or Sajica could work - ideally as a trio but 4 might work?

Get them as small as you can at a similar time, lots of structures to break up line of sight and get some big Swordtails which will populate and act as dithers - maybe a school of Columbian Tetras or Buenos Airies Tetras as well?

I would strongly recommend starting off with very young cichlids in this tank :)

Wills

Wills said:
RRAquariums is right in a way that cichlids are unpredictable but often you can get a mix to work together. Green Terrors are really hard to get to work in a tank but JDs are a reasonably good companion that could work. In a 75g 3 to 4 individuals could grow up together and live well I think. Maybe something like a JD, Salvini, GT, Convict or Sajica could work - ideally as a trio but 4 might work?

Get them as small as you can at a similar time, lots of structures to break up line of sight and get some big Swordtails which will populate and act as dithers - maybe a school of Columbian Tetras or Buenos Airies Tetras as well?

I would strongly recommend starting off with very young cichlids in this tank
smile.png

Wills
so are you saying a JD a GT a salvini and a group of convicts would work

Hi sorry to contradict people but I don't think you should overcrowd new world cichlids, and 4 fish over six inches in a 75 gallon is overcrowding them. Generally the larger cichlids 10" and above can only have one or two in a 75 gallon depending on the temperament of the fish. Here are my thoughts:

DONT get a group of convicts. They are prolific breeders and notoriously nasty when it comes to protecting territory. They are also capable of killing much larger fish. If you have a male and a female convict, chances are in a year you will have a convict only tank with all your other fishes either dead or re-homed. Convicts are better kept in single sex groups for communities or in a species tank. In fact any breeding pair of large cichlids will be a danger to your other fish.

A green terror and an electric blue jack Dempsey could work in your 75! You must keep in mind that EBJD are very sensitive when young, are very slow growers, and are a lot more passive then a regular Dempsey. I suggest you take the following steps to setting up your tank

Set up the tank with lots and lots of hiding places. There should always be a place for the smallest fish to escape from the bigger fish. Make hiding places that can only fit the smallest, the second smallest and so on.

Get the Electric blue Jack demspsey first. This fish is expensive, rare and very sensitive. They succumb easily to stress and sickness, very much like young discus. I know it seems a bit extreme but I would keep this little guy alone (no other cichlids) in this tank till he reaches 4-5 inches in length. This is the size where they are known to get a lot hardier and tougher. It will be a joy watching him grow and watching his shifting colors and patterns. If you get bored, you can add in your dither fish, but stick to peaceful community fish. This may take 6 months.   

After he reaches that length, introduce a Green Terror half his size or even less if possible. I know this goes against normal doctrine but if you put in the GT at the same time as the EBJD he will outgrow the Dempsey quickly and bully him. The reason too you want to put in a tiny green terror is because the Dempsey will not even consider him a threat and you will likely experience no difficulty. If they are too close in size you may get fighting. The electric blue jack Dempsey however is actually a very mellow fish and even a small green terror will be able to handle itself around it. If you search them on youtube you will find them being kept in regular communities. The green terror on the other hand can be nasty.

Along with the green terror you may choose to introduce 1-2 female convicts. The reason I suggest females is because they are smaller and more colorful than the males. These will be good "dither" fish to spread out the cichlid aggression. I would not suggest adding a Salvini, as they are big aggressive fish and may become a problem as well. It may seem like a low stocking level but trust me when the Electric blue grows up, you wouldn't mind if that was the only fish you owned!

IF you decide not to go with the electric blue Dempsey however, you can put in two convicts, the gt and the salvini all at the same time as babies.

AeonMapa said:
Hi sorry to contradict people but I don't think you should overcrowd new world cichlids, and 4 fish over six inches in a 75 gallon is overcrowding them. Generally the larger cichlids 10" and above can only have one or two in a 75 gallon depending on the temperament of the fish. Here are my thoughts:

DONT get a group of convicts. They are prolific breeders and notoriously nasty when it comes to protecting territory. They are also capable of killing much larger fish. If you have a male and a female convict, chances are in a year you will have a convict only tank with all your other fishes either dead or re-homed. Convicts are better kept in single sex groups for communities or in a species tank. In fact any breeding pair of large cichlids will be a danger to your other fish.

A green terror and an electric blue jack Dempsey could work in your 75! You must keep in mind that EBJD are very sensitive when young, are very slow growers, and are a lot more passive then a regular Dempsey. I suggest you take the following steps to setting up your tank

Set up the tank with lots and lots of hiding places. There should always be a place for the smallest fish to escape from the bigger fish. Make hiding places that can only fit the smallest, the second smallest and so on.

Get the Electric blue Jack demspsey first. This fish is expensive, rare and very sensitive. They succumb easily to stress and sickness, very much like young discus. I know it seems a bit extreme but I would keep this little guy alone (no other cichlids) in this tank till he reaches 4-5 inches in length. This is the size where they are known to get a lot hardier and tougher. It will be a joy watching him grow and watching his shifting colors and patterns. If you get bored, you can add in your dither fish, but stick to peaceful community fish. This may take 6 months.   

After he reaches that length, introduce a Green Terror half his size or even less if possible. I know this goes against normal doctrine but if you put in the GT at the same time as the EBJD he will outgrow the Dempsey quickly and bully him. The reason too you want to put in a tiny green terror is because the Dempsey will not even consider him a threat and you will likely experience no difficulty. If they are too close in size you may get fighting. The electric blue jack Dempsey however is actually a very mellow fish and even a small green terror will be able to handle itself around it. If you search them on youtube you will find them being kept in regular communities. The green terror on the other hand can be nasty.

Along with the green terror you may choose to introduce 1-2 female convicts. The reason I suggest females is because they are smaller and more colorful than the males. These will be good "dither" fish to spread out the cichlid aggression. I would not suggest adding a Salvini, as they are big aggressive fish and may become a problem as well. It may seem like a low stocking level but trust me when the Electric blue grows up, you wouldn't mind if that was the only fish you owned!

IF you decide not to go with the electric blue Dempsey however, you can put in two convicts, the gt and the salvini all at the same time as babies.
awesome i like that last idea with the salvini gt and convicts and plus i will be breeding all but the green terror i can just get babies from that
yes.gif

Umm just don't breed them in the same tank, like I said, breeding slaving or convicts can mess up even a green terror

AeonMapa said:
Umm just don't breed them in the same tank, like I said, breeding slaving or convicts can mess up even a green terror
well i have a breeding project that i am putting together and each type of fish will have there own 40 gallon tank i was saying i could tank one of the baby's from the breeding and use it for this tank

I meant Convict as in singular one fish not a group!

I think it can work if you get the fish in there very young, and let them grow together - thats the way to get the best odds of it working long term - however you may have to rehome some fish as they grow if they become too dominant.

Wills

AeonMapa said:

Just out of curiosity, is this from experience??? 

I've kept breeding convicts once, keeping an electric blue Dempsey now but never green terrors or salvini so I can't say from experience exactly just making suggestions from what I've observed about cichlids

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back