Green Spotted Puffer Went Blind

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

irishguy357

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey new here needed some help from some the longer older fish guys so here is my problem I have 55 gallon tank I was dumb and threw out the older filter when my new canister came in so I had to recycle the tank I used stability sometime with in first three days of new canister my green spotted puffer went blind or maybe just clouded im not sure so I finished the cycle on two weeks ago he didnt get better started using melafix on saturday all it did was cloud my tank make fish breath harder so I stopped today and did 50 water change im good on ammonia nitrate etc im trying to clear him up and make him see iv been feeding him with tongs from top tank and ideas or could he just be blind permanently he runs into the glass and fake plants cant see much where hes going other fish dont bother him he has no white spots so no ick any help I dont wanna put anymore melafix or maracyna or whatever u call it lol

Robbed from another site:-

Cloudy Eye
The eye becomes cloudy almost to the point of whiteness and the fish lose vision. The causes behind this disease can vary. An increase in parasites in the aquarium is the most common cause but severe stress, old age, or malnutrition can all lead to this condition. Treating this condition requires an investigation of water quality. Once the water quality is high enough, the fish will usually recover by them selves within 1-2 weeks. Thus, it is advisable towait for 1-2 weeks before administering antibiotics.

Ages ago I had fish that got cloudy eye from poor water quality (those were my bad fish days) and it was cleared with pristine water only after about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.  Sounds to me like that is a probable cause for yours since you threw away the old filter media and started a new cycle.

So ur thinking just keep changing water and feeding and it will work it self out

If it is cloudy eye then yes, pristine water will clear it.  You could use medication but it doesn't speed up the healing process that much to make it worth it... plus it is always better to do it naturally when that is possible.

Ok ill keep doing water changes I hate melafix makes take cloudy n smells bad lol
If he doesnt clear up id imagine that means hes permanently blind

I've never had any cloudy water when treating the tank with either API Melafix or Primafix  and wouldn't say it smells bad. It does smell like some of those essential oils!
I wonder if yours has gone bad or something?

Just bought it just didnt help me just seemed to make a clouded mess yea im not a fan of oil smells lol so u think I should change water every two days keep it pristine I still have a light cloud i did 60 percent water change still there

Do you have a liquid test kit?  If so, that is the best way to monitor when the water changes need to be done.

Investing in your own test kit might be easier as an uncycled tank would require daily water testing.

You said there are other fish in the tank also.. Is this a brackish tank or freshwater...? Only baby GSP should be kept in freshwater and if yours is an adult that could be why it is showing these symptoms.

My tank is at 2.0 with cichlids so yes its brakish all of this started same time I hooked up my canister and accidentally uncycled my tank by throwing away old filteration but now tank is cycled and as soon as I stopped using melafix tank became crystal clear only thing left is to restore vision to puffer which im trying to do with pristine water so far his coloring has greatly improved hes bright fast no brown or black on belly still monitoring for eye improvement

All clear lol
I cant seem to figure out how add picture

If you mean your tank is at 1.002 s.g, that isn't enough salt at all for your puffer. The cichlids you have (going by your profile) should not be kept in the much saltier water that your puffer needs. Young GSP 2" or larger should be in 1.008-1.018 s.g, and adults in 1.018 - marine. Are the fins of your other fish bitten up at all? Most puffers will start taking bites out of any fins within reach so really should be kept alone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back