Green spotted puffer and red tail shark

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jeremy.beech.71

Reaction score
I recently bought a RTS and threw him in my 10 gallon. I had a bunch of various guppys in the tank and a gold fish and ghost catfish. Well he got along just fine at first then set his sights on the gold fish. He chases him relentlessly and I have to stop before he kills my kids gold fish from stress. (I'd be happy with one less gold fish, but it'd upset my kid I'm sure) Well I also have a GSP in a 20 gallon all to itself. I hadn't started on making the water brackish yet as I just got it and its still young. Would these two fight if I put them together until I can get a new tank for the RTS? Both are my favorite in our collection and I don't want to loose either. I will put him on "timeout" in a two gallon tank and this makes him more humble for a while when he goes back in his tank. But he's almost two inches long and that's too big for such an active fish in a 2 gallon tank.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFF.

You should return or sell/give away the Red Tail Shark. You do not have any tank suitable in size for this fish, which will (if it lives) reach 5 inches, and requires a 4-foot length tank minimum. They also have a reputation for being aggressive; this can vary among individual fish, but the majority are rough fish. They sometimes take a dislike to specific upper level fish. Even if it did not physically attack, the chemical signals it is sending pout is stressing every other fish in the tank, and that is going to lead to serious health issues down the short road. It is plainly put, cruel to the fish to put this RTS in any of these tanks. And even if you get a 4-foot tank remember that finding tankmates is not that simple. More here [see particularly the Behaviour and Compatibility section]:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-bicolor/

The goldfish needs a larger space too. Please research fish species before acquiring them; it can save a lot of grief for you and your son, plus it is only being responsible to the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back