Green Spots On Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Yeah glad you got a pleco. Be warned though, they grow really fast in a well-established tank.

Congrats on your newly cleaned tank! :D

I always use the two magnetic bars. Just pass a few times and its gone. Sometimes a few more times for the harder ones

Green spot algae is relatively easy to deal with on glass with a razor or hard scrub.  On acrylic tanks it's a royal pain to remove without marring the finish.  I have a love-hate for acrylic tanks and green spot definitely reinforces the hate side.  
I don't think any pleco or algae eater will touch green spot.  Nerite snails supposedly can/will sometimes remove it- but then you may have little white nerite eggs cemented on everything to deal with.  

Bmasc said:
Hi Guys, 

I too have a weird algae problem. It is in spots on all the plant leaves and grows out in strands from each spot. Tried pulling it off but it is quite firm and the whole leaf came off the plant.

Anyone know what kind of algae it could be and how to remove it.

Thanks.
If your tank is large enough, Siamese Algae Eaters are noted as excellent for removing brush algae- most algae eaters don't touch it.  SAE do get fairly large, should be in pairs or small groups, and are peaceful but somewhat rambunctious fish.  They can annoy some quiet species that dislike their antics.  There are also some similar species sold as SAE, be sure to get the right fish.  The pic is two SAE at the top (with the dark stripe) and a gold Chinese Algae Eater center (CAE aren't generally recomended for any tank with other fish but this one behaves itself).

Attachments

• IMG_20130414_170836.jpg
    IMG_20130414_170836.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 73

Most reactions

Back