Green Spots On Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EthanF

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey i have noticed that the front of my 60 litre has got loads of little bright green spots over it? maybe 100+

is there anyone that can help me :)

A wee picture might help a lot to identify your mystery greenies, but it's most likely just the start of some algae growth.

You could try cleaning it off with a sponge, if you like.

yeah i think ill just put a sponge over it, thnks anyway :)

I agree, it's probably algae growth, should wipe off pretty easily.

I have a similar sounding algae problem that reoccurs every now and then - but a regular algae wipe won't remove mine.  I use an old plastic bank card to firmly scrape it off.

That would be green spot algae, needs a bit of elbow grease that stuff.

DrRob said:
That would be green spot algae, needs a bit of elbow grease that stuff.
 Just take an old credit card and scrape it off the glass, easy peasy!

As long as the tank is glass - I use wallpaper scrapers for an efficient glass cleaning, at home and at work. On my acrylic tanks I only dare use an acrylic sponge in case of scratches.

Hi All,
I am facing the same problem with my 5 gallon planted tank. Scarpe it and spot is back within a week.
Now it has started to show its presence on small rocks.Woried about my plants due to algae.

Do we have any natural solution to this..!!! i.e algae eaters. Pls suggest.

Fishes : 2 Palty
           : 6 Danios

Thanks

Hi Guys, 

I too have a weird algae problem. It is in spots on all the plant leaves and grows out in strands from each spot. Tried pulling it off but it is quite firm and the whole leaf came off the plant.

Anyone know what kind of algae it could be and how to remove it.

Thanks.

Sounds like 'BBA'; black beard (or brush) algae.

I think you can normally cure it by dosing, or spot treating, with liquid carbon, but I've never dealt with it myself.

It is very common, so I'm sure someone will be able to advise you shortly!

Leostroika said:
Hi All,
I am facing the same problem with my 5 gallon planted tank. Scarpe it and spot is back within a week.
Now it has started to show its presence on small rocks.Woried about my plants due to algae.

Thanks
Im afraid i would not even stock what you have in a 5G, in my personal opinion its just to small for any fish, maybe you could get away with some endlers, or shrimp

Most algae problems are naturally resolved by adding some safe snails, plecostomus, small gyrinocheilus algae-eater or even some swordtails or guppies.

If sponges dont do it then an abrasive sponge if available (the thin, green one), would usually do.

paradiddle said:

Hi All,

Thanks
Im afraid i would not even stock what you have in a 5G, in my personal opinion its just to small for any fish, maybe you could get away with some endlers, or shrimp
I know its little tight but all my fishes are healthy and happy. Will certainly post few snaps have a look nd comment. Expert comments are always welcome.
Tank is runing from last three months.

DSC_0074.jpg

Hi All,
By adding a small plecostomus all my problems related to algae are gone. This beauty works relentesly in tur there is a sparkling tank.
Trying to attach few snaps. Its not working i beleive.
no.gif

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back