Green Phantom Pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Am I right in thinking Zebras are now banned from import lists? I heard they were endagered but didn't know if they were still imported.

I think the downside is people like me who want one fish and not to breed - the Zebras have been very common and really they should only be in homes now where they're in breeding groups. Sad that it comes to this though.
Yes, they are now banned. No, they are not imported anymore (legally anyway).

Totally agree with you - any zebra now should really be in a breeding programme and not individual set-up's. That’s my personal feeling anyway (sorry drifting slightly off topic!)

If Wildwoods have wild caught zebras, then they're not recent wilds - but rather those that were caught a few years ago when it was still legal - have been in private thanks but now made their way back to the shop to be re-sold. There were a couple such fish at Wholesale Tropicals in London a couple of months back. £175 each.

They can see blue light, it's red they can't see (apparently and I'm yet to test it). Basically with normal blue moonlighting you'd need to have it on very low to even begin to encourage a shy plec out (so low it's hardly worth it). With red *apparently* you can have it on higher and therefore actually see them. :good:

Edited to add: As for sleep deprivation, the idea of moonlighting, or the red lighting is to only have it on for s short period in the morning and evening before and after the main lights are on (with moonlighting the theory being that is creates a dawn/dusk effect both to people and the fish).

Cool! You have just saved me some more cash! :D

Think I will do some research into the red light thing. Think it would look pretty cool too! Louie will look quite mad with a red glow over his green.

Someone should warn people about getting into fish - they don't have any warnings to say you might get addicted and spend all your spare cash!

I think one problem is that they've got such a high price tag (understandably so) that it attracts those who want to have a fish they can boast about the cost of. The problem being, those people take one, because of the price, and those that can and would breed end up having to pay huge amounts to get hold of them if indeed they can find them at all. Having seen the listings on eBay of a group of 5 for £650, I can see why people are unable to get them re-established and captive bred. Seems like a vicious circle!

Zebra plecos are gorgeous but I couldn't afford one - let alone 6 to breed! But think of the money ou cuodl then make if you did breed them! :lol:

Keeping fish isn't really about making money though IMO anyway. I just think the little guys are fascinating!

I'm so so jealous :-( :lol: My LFS refuses to order in L numbers, so I can only buy online and pay huge amounts for delivery on top. Trimar's probably my best bet, but their HORRIBLE site crashes my IE every time I try and load it, I should email them and whinge *lmao*.

If you download and use Firefox as the browser for Trimar then it's OK.My experience anyway.

Thanks for the tipoff! Will try that if Trimar's site keeps playing up then :D

A non fish comment, but Firefox is a whole lot better than IE and you wont get as much spyware etc from the net if you use firefox.

Long Live Fire fox!!!

Think I will do some research into the red light thing. Think it would look pretty cool too! Louie will look quite mad with a red glow over his green.

actually, the red light will make him look rather black. go for a very pale blue if you're going to make a moonlight.

Hey i have a Royal about 5ins a bit shy though, also a Green Phantom, georgous and very active about 4ins, also got a Golden Nugget again a bit shy likes to hide.
Recently got a Big Spotted pleco, grey in colour with white spots,only about 2ins atm not sure how big he will grow?

Awesome man I wish I could get one of those but my fish people say they can try ordering one but it would be about $200 for one 1.5" that's just crazy for that. But congradulations man I'm happy for u :)

wowzer!!!

Old thread resurection its 5 yrs old!! :rolleyes:

lets see some pics of your L200. Lovely fish

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back