Green Film On Top Of Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

poohbear

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hiya,
not been on this forum for a few years but for the past couple months I have had a problem with my 190l corner tank.
I do water changes once a month and check the nitrides, nitrates etc before I do that.
The past few months I have had a green film on top of the water, not much algae in the water just this film on the top.
I have tried a blackout and using paper towels to skim the green film off but it keeps coming back.
Does anyone have any ideas
Thanks

I have surface agitation with the outlet for the filter being slightly higher than the water

Have you checked your tank lid/condensation tray/glass sliders for any algae build up that could be dripping into the tank with condensation? I have had that happen before.

first off water changes should be done weekly, and clean filter in aquarium water monthly. The green film is mostly likely due to stag net water, if you get a stronger filter or strong air pump should get rid of that.
25% change weekly* whats your paramaters, filters, and stock?

I have had this tank for 7 years now and always tested and done water changes once a month.
The filter is the same filter that came with the tank. I test using a liquid test kit and all the parameters are fine. There is surface agitation with the water from the outflow filter pipe.
I am using paper towels to skim up the film but the next again day it is as bad as ever.
I have kept tanks for 15 years now and this is the first major problem I have had

ok so I feel like I got you mad because you want to tell me how long youve been keeping fish, so you can just ignore my advice then.

No I didn't get mad, I just pointed out I have done maintenance of my tank the same since I first started keeping fish and that there is surface agitation.
I am open to all suggestions as I use papertowels to get rid of it then the next day it is as bad as ever

You might need to get a stronger Filter, if you've had it for that long surely it will be a lot weaker, My 8 year old filter still works but its not as powerful anymore. Your filter might not be powerful enough for your tank size. maybe do a full clean of your tank and see how it goes 

Thanks got my nephew coming tomorrow to help me do a full clean so will see how we go from there. Also ordered new bulbs cause I don't think my husband got me aquatic ones when we replaced them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back