Green Bubble Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JourneyMan81

Reaction score
If you can't use crabs or anything that is aggressive what is the best remover, living or chemical.

Can you post a picture of the algae?

Without knowing the actual species we are dealing with, we will not be able to give you accurate information :)

Took some shots this morning and grabbed the stats of the tank:

Nit - 0
Nat - 0
Amm - .25
Cal - 500
K - 180
Phos - .25
PH - 8.3-8.4
Salt - 1.0255

The ammonia standard is usually 0 and it gets a ~10% water change out every week. I tried using Red Slim Algae remover and will give it a second dose tomorrow but the first attempt last week with it didn't seem like it did anything.

Attachments

• IMG_2785.JPG
    IMG_2785.JPG
    960 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_2786.JPG
    IMG_2786.JPG
    598.6 KB · Views: 388
are the blue bubbles air bubbles coming out of the algae?

is the algae slimy and lift off in pieces and sheets? If yes, then it is blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria).
It loves nutrients and flake food so if you feed any dry food then reduce or replace it with fresh or frozen food.
Then try to suck the algae out each day. Wash your hands with soapy water after handling the blue green algae because it can irritate your skin or other areas or your body.

Check the lights too. Old fluorescent globes (over 12 months) can encourage it and should be replaced (along with the starter) with new globes that have a 6500-8000K rating. If you use LED lights they will be fine and won't need replacing. :)

No air coming out of the bubbles - the bubbles are the algae - clumps of those bubbles, with a fairly thick skin... for bubbles I mean

ok, gotcha on the bubbles being the blue part. I have seen something like them before in the ocean but never kept them. Google Ventricaria and Valonia for marine bubble algae :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back