Green Algae Hair Into Reddish Orange Algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mathius1988

Reaction score
Hi,Y'all

I have a 240 litre tank with a fluval 405 filter. I got plants for my tank and then I started to get green hair algae on all the plants and green algae on the glass, I also had loads of tiny snails in the tank. I cleaned the tank,plants,ornaments thoroughly removing every trace of green algae. I got some clown loaches they killed the snails, but within two weeks the algae was back covering everything. I reduced the lighting to 12pm-6pm. I cleaned it again and it happened again and now instead of being green it's kinda red orange colour, I removed all the plants. I would have scrapped the glass on the tank but I'm looking for a more permanent solution. So I left it to grow so I could post pictures here for some help. If you know what I need to do to get rid of this algae for good I'd be so grateful, please help??

The first three pictures are  4 weeks after cleaning and the last three 8 weeks. :mad:

20160515_161955 (1).jpg

Algae is natural in an aquarium because it only needs light and nutrients.  Our goal though is to keep it under control, especially with live plants.  Problem algae in this situation is a sign that the balance of light/nutrients is out of whack.  The plants (species and number) and the fish load, plus water changes, all factor in to the balance, as well as the lighting (intensity and duration) and any supplemental nutrients (plant fertilizers).  Any data you can provide on lighting, fertilizers, plants and fish will help.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back