Great Predatory Fish For 20 Gallon Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hotdogoramer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
As the topic states, what would be a great predatory fish for a 20 gallon tank, I want something very good looking to spice up my fish room. It has to have unique bright coloring.
I am new to this so please give me advice on the fish you think i should put in.

Thanks

Channa Orientalis maybe, people may tell you the tank is too small but I keep 3 and have done for 18 months in one

great fish

Channa Orientalis maybe, people may tell you the tank is too small but I keep 3 and have done for 18 months in one

great fish

Would one be enough for my tank, and what can i have as tankmates for it??

I don;t see the appeal in one, with most Channa I think they look better in a pair or small group as you see them behave in a more interesting manner, a lot of them can be shy otherwise, Mine display to each other which looks great

hotdogoramer,
howdy neighbor...im in Smallbany too :hyper:
dont get your hopes set on any Channa species. snakeheads are now illegal to own in the states after some folks decided to let some go and now they re taking over the waterways in some parts of the country. it actually is reeking some environmental havoc. i just watched a good documentary on this yesterday on Nat. Geo. channel. interesting stuff!
good luck in your quest.
cheers!!!

hotdogoramer,
howdy neighbor...im in Smallbany too :hyper:
dont get your hopes set on any Channa species. snakeheads are now illegal to own in the states after some folks decided to let some go and now they re taking over the waterways in some parts of the country. it actually is reeking some environmental havoc. i just watched a good documentary on this yesterday on Nat. Geo. channel. interesting stuff!
good luck in your quest.
cheers!!!

Dang it i wanted one soo bad after i saw some pics, well i will see if i can get something else.
What part of albany are you from??

currently in Troy, but from North end...small world, eh?
what about making it brackish,planting it up and getting some puffers? ive seen some good stock around lately.
cheers

currently in Troy, but from North end...small world, eh?
what about making it brackish,planting it up and getting some puffers? ive seen some good stock around lately.
cheers

Nice I live in Loudonville, 1 min ride to Albany.
Is it easy to keep a brackish community?? I need something easy since i m a student and don't have too much money or time on my hands.

perfect suggestion for brackish or hw bout dwarf puffers? interssting fish loads of charcter

Its a 20 g, size 20H, how big is a Golden panchax. i havent thought of those before but they are beautiful fish. How many could i keep in my tank?

if you are interested in the panchax, and the tank is proper for them, Eddies aquarium on route 9 often has them in. worth a look. there is also a GREAT fish store on rt 4 in east greenbush in a little plaza(go like youre going to HVCC, go past the college and Moscotellos and it is about a mile or so on the left)...its called holistic pet store...the turn for the plaza is right after true value i think...the store is on the far right of the plaza). they have VERY VERY well maintained tanks and very friendly knowledgable staff. they, imo, have the nicest livestock around. always healthy, never EVER seen disease in their tanks and are immaculately kept (eddies is going downhill fast in the last few months. loads of dead fish, ich, and a variety of other probs)....might be worth looking at the holistic store for panchax (cant remember if ive seen them there)...but they often have dwarf puffers in if you are interested in those. lots of nice plants too...it is a great store and defo worth a look comming from Loudonville (closer than eddies too)
cheers!!

if you are interested in the panchax, and the tank is proper for them, Eddies aquarium on route 9 often has them in. worth a look. there is also a GREAT fish store on rt 4 in east greenbush in a little plaza(go like youre going to HVCC, go past the college and Moscotellos and it is about a mile or so on the left)...its called holistic pet store...the turn for the plaza is right after true value i think...the store is on the far right of the plaza). they have VERY VERY well maintained tanks and very friendly knowledgable staff. they, imo, have the nicest livestock around. always healthy, never EVER seen disease in their tanks and are immaculately kept (eddies is going downhill fast in the last few months. loads of dead fish, ich, and a variety of other probs)....might be worth looking at the holistic store for panchax (cant remember if ive seen them there)...but they often have dwarf puffers in if you are interested in those. lots of nice plants too...it is a great store and defo worth a look comming from Loudonville (closer than eddies too)
cheers!!

Wish i had learned this half an hour ago i just picked up my sister from HVCC. I m going to eddies today to return my odessa barb, and pick up some live brine shrimp. I didn't know about the LFS in Troy or else i wouldn't be going to eddies beacuse they make a killing on the prices too. And do you think a couple Panchax will do good in my tank. its a normal 20 gallon don't know the dimensions. 24x16x13 inches.

instead of a "predatory" fish i would recommend something much more intresting, puffers! There are a few you can keep in that tank, dwarf puffers, red-eye red tail puffers, fig8(brackish). they are intelligent and will be like a pet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back