Gravel Size For Clown Loach

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smeyers2

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi All !!

I was reading Clown Loaches prefer either sand, or fine gravel. Not knowing this I set my tank up with a course gravel. I'm wondering how important the size of the gravel is. I will change the gravel if I have to... not something I look forward to!!! 

Thanks,

Steve

gravel size.jpg

The large stones can damage their barbels, I would definitely get sand if possible. How big is your tank?

You dont want just one, you want 6 or more, and since they grow oscar size they need a 250g+ or 900 liters +

A new tank about the size of 150 gallons and 6+ clown loaches is the way to go, clown loaches need a much larger tank, they reach 16+"

Lunar Jetman said:
Yeah, don't put loaches in a 36 gallon bow!
smile.png
There are plenty of loaches suitable for a tank of that size, if it had a sand substrate; just not clowns
wink.png

fluttermoth said:

Yeah, don't put loaches in a 36 gallon bow!
smile.png
There are plenty of loaches suitable for a tank of that size, if it had a sand substrate; just not clowns
wink.png

Whoops, in my haste to post I forgot to put Clown between put and loaches...... Is there a face palm emoticon?

I made the same mistake, Now a dozen years later i have some huge clowns. Mine toss around the big pebbles to dig. Years back when I had too many clowns I sent some to a friend to add to his group. I few weeks later I was informed that my clowns had taught his to toss pebbles as well.

Fist are pretty amazing and will usually adapt to their surroundings as long as they are within reason.

Take corys, in nature they live and feed in all sorts of waters and on various substrates from sand to bedrock and including leaf litter, gravel and even sharp gravel.

More important than the choice of substrate is keeping them in groups and in bigger tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back