Gravel And Frogs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Efishent

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to use gravel in a tank for frogs, or should I use something like soil? The gravel seems to be the only thing that won't float when I put the water in, and it looks nicer. However, for fire bellied toads and plants, is this ok? The guy at the store said that this other stuff was better (I think it was coconut fiber substrate,) but it was floating in the water. The thing I was worried about is if they could swallow the gravel. Would sand and dirt (from the store) be better?

I use sand in my frog tank. I've heard that with African Dwarf Frogs (which is the kind I have) they will try to eat gravel and choke on it. What kind of frogs do you have?

With my Fire Belly Toad, i had a brown-hue mix of pea gravel.  This is the larger sized gravel.  As for eating the gravel/sand, this would not be too likely unless the toad was after a wiggling worm or similar food down in the substrate.

Byron.

I went to.dollar tree and bought small river rock. 6$ (6 bags ) fills a ten gallon tank. I had gravel it had stuff that floated and was a pain to clean out , got rock in my sink drain and it stuck to everything. I get my pump out , pump out water, keep out some to put back in with new and then just tip my tank and all the gunk goes out and the rock stays in and I just take my sprayer and spray the rocks down.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back